sr16ve relocating cas thoughts?

all your DIY needs
Godzilladat
Datsun Nutter

sr16ve relocating cas thoughts?

Post by Godzilladat »

So 3 sr16ve's me and a mate bought finally arrived today from Malaysia.

Plan is to get an SR20de block and build a nice high comp NA motor with quads etc.

What I'm interested in exploring is if anyone thinks it would be possible (without spending a fortune) to relocate the cas from the back of the head to a similiar location of an S14/15 cas?

In Australia firewall mods are a no no, so a set back isn't going to do me any favours. I need to take a look at my vvl head and a stock rwd de head and see if they are similiar in terms of where the cas would go on a vct head (assuming not).

But if they were, would chopping up a vct head, jigging to make sure correct clearances and angles, then welding the section back into the head be a very bad decision?

Just thinking out loud and interested to hear what you think. If it could be done, could then take a mould of the head and look into shelling out big time to get them reproduced.
nick_m
Datsun Master
aka: Nick m

Re: sr16ve relocating cas thoughts?

Post by nick_m »

Nope, way way too much work, for start there's no bevel gear on the ve cam to drive the dizzy up the front like the rwd motors. Then there would be the other things to deal with.
You can modify the distributers so that you get rid of the rotor part and the coil leaving just the CAS part of the distributer. Then its only about 25-30mm from memory, or you can buy a Factory CAS off a sr20ve 20v (2nd generation sr20ve, rare as fuck, NA version of the sr20vet. sr20vet's also have CAS same part number), which is the only fwd sr to get a CAS and coil on plug. It also only got made for a few years before the ve was discontinued so the are fucking expensive but still available new from nissan
otherwise just make a trigger wheel to go on the crank pulley. Thats bean done before on all variety of motors.
Godzilladat
Datsun Nutter

Post by Godzilladat »

Yep good call. I can get a vet cas new from oz for about $360 AUD.

Might try and make one out of the existing dizzy like that IIIRII guy did.
nick_m
Datsun Master
aka: Nick m

Post by nick_m »

There is a thread some where on http://www.sr20forum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in the ve section that shows exactly how to do it step by step

One thing I'll recommend, as this is the problem I had with mine (a modified de dizzy as a practice) is where the standoffs for the bolts that hold it all together go in only has thread in a small portion of the top of the standoff as the hole is tapered. so weld up the holes in the bottom of the standoff and around then bottom before you machine the body down as my de dizzy got pretty thin in that area and didn't really have enough meat in that area for thread. So i'm going to give mine the ass and have another go. I'm thinking I might go trigger wheel on the crank though

Also I have a brand new sr20ve 20v single solenoid which I would probably be keen to swap for the twin solenoids of the 16ve if your keen. Also if you have a set of sr16ve pistons going i'd definitely been keen on a set of them.
Godzilladat
Datsun Nutter

Post by Godzilladat »

Thanks for the info, I'm going to try and find that post.

Won't have any spares unfortunately, as all 3 motors are spoken for, and I'm going to aim to reuse my 16ve pistons in the new motor.

I'll use the 2 solenoids to with a relocation block on the back of the head, moving them to the drivers side.