a15 rebuild

all your DIY needs
dattysun
aka: New Zealand

a15 rebuild

Post by dattysun »

hey guys and girls, first time Datsun owner of a 1983 sunny rwd, i have come up with the plan to pull out the engine and have a go a rebuilding and getting more power out of it. I have no skill in machanics so any tips and help would be good and any ideas how to get more power would help heaps, thanks.

Cheers, Tom
dirtyleppa
Datsun God
aka: leppa

Re: a15 rebuild

Post by dirtyleppa »

well you are in luck man. there a heaps of people with the skills and know how to help you out. preety much any of the main members here could help you out with just about anything you need, but if you wanna look outside the square, bartman is the one to talk to, as he was crazy enough to put a large supercharger onto his a series :lol:

maybe start a members ride thread, so we can have a look at the old girl and see what you have planned for it
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

You need to start by getting your hands on a haynes manual for the B310 sunny. How good (or bad) is the motor in your car now? if it's really fucked, it'll be a costly exercise to rebuild it. You need to set realistic goals for what you hope to achieve, then work out your budget.

Go do a search at http://www.datsun1200.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. There is everything you could ever need to know there.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
dattysun
aka: New Zealand

Post by dattysun »

the engine is algood and gear box, could do with a new clutch. it just burns and goes through the oil heaps, thanks for the help. I have to get my cortina (doggy thing) going and road worthy befor the datto gets some attention, ill start a thread for it.

Thanks for the help, keep it coming!
Flauski
Financial Member

Post by Flauski »

One of the major reasons the A series burn oil is the oil stem seals, they are rubber with a little spring and wear out over time. You can get them replaced reasonably easily and will cost far less than a rebuild as head does not even need to come off.

Less smoke/burning oil will be the result.
mint16
Financial Member
aka: Brendan

Post by mint16 »

yeah, it depends on how much oil is burned though.
the rings can go very quickly on an a-series motor if theres even a slight overheat.

i had to rebuild my sunny a15 at 120km, was owned by an old lady, and had suffered an overheat at some stage. i had replaced the valve stem seals, but it didnt help.
it used 5L of oil from napier to hamilton and back!!
72 Datsun 1200 Wagon
86 Toyota AE85 Trueno 4AGE ITB