Nick 1200 sedan Race car - Shit this things needs finishing

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
nick_m
Datsun Master
aka: Nick m

Re: Nick 1200 sedan

Post by nick_m »

haha no not this time :) although your right, its about time I cut something out and redid it!
I've just got back last night from surfers paradise, lots of beers, sun, go karts and swimming. I'm not really looking forward to going back to work tomorrow
Its also not 25 degrees

Oh well, my hands were starting to get a bit clean. Its about time I did some more work on the car.
Currently i'm working on getting the instrument cluster mounted.
nick_m
Datsun Master

Post by nick_m »

I bet you thought there was going to be an update!
unfortunately no, i'm shit, I went on holiday and now I seem stuck in holiday mode still!
I got some laser cutting things done to mount silvia instrument panel so i'll try finish that next week. Got two for the price of one though (laser cutters did too even though the order was for one so thats cool) so thats a nice bonus so if that works ok I'll probably sell the other one.
I also got a battery for free off a mate to help with start up and I made a drilling template to mount the silvia wiper motor.
So i'll try do a little tomorrow but don't hold your breath! :)
nick_m
Datsun Master

Post by nick_m »

Whoa no updates since november, man I have been shit.

So I did get the silvia instrument cluster mounted (BIG thanks to Brocky for hooking me up with that) I did however make a mare of the first attempt so its lucky I got a spare one for free from the laser cutters.

I Also mounted the silvia wiper motor which was surprisingly easy (more on that later)

Also fuel lines are run and filters mounted so thats another thing out of the way.

Ive also started on another pedal box thats a triple reverse mounted setup, this means that since the mc's are smaller I don't need to mount them down on an angle like the first attempt using the Datsun MC. The other reason was I was having trouble finding anything bigger than the sunny 13/16th's one which I wasn't sure if that was going to be a problem or not!
I didn't get very far, I was working on it before new years and I worked out after about 2 days work that the pivot point for the pedal was too high and the mc was jamming and because of the way id fabricated it to ct out the pivot point mounting I had to cut off all my mounting for the pedal box to the firewall. So I got all pissy and through that in the corner for when i'm ready to have another go :)

So when I got back from New years break I Decided to have a crack at making some headers instead. That went a lot more smoothly, still about 10 or so hours worth of work in them!

Anyway as chris kept saying yesterday, PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!

So heres the panel I got laser cut to mount the speedo, it required an angled mount tab to be welded on the top and the holes drilled for the bottom mounts. Also needed to be folded into a tophat section to space it out from the back of the dash frame

A little matt black paint and there it is

Silvia wiper motor mounted, its a tight fit as its a bit longer than the std datsun one

Here's the inside view, not sure if you can see but I had to hole saw the hole a bit bigger and a little further towards the center of the car. I also ground off the old mount holes and welded four new nuts in place for mounting. THe best part (the easy bit) was the datsun wiper drive arm bolted straight onto the silvia motor. (which was fantastic at the time because I was having a can't be fucked day. So that meant I could head back inside early.

here's some photo's of the pedal box, not much to say really as its going to have to change a bit.

Good dash clearance compared to the std datsun MC's. Although I di find that when I installed all three masters that the third one fouled the fuse box mount bracket on the dash frame so that might end up getting relocated.

Fuel lins are run

I also made a hole lot of these little clips because i'm such a fussy cunt that I didn't want bolt holes everywhere mounting my fuel line. The things we do sometimes......

Header, cam out pretty good, not as nice as i'd have liked. I'd have liked the runners to be a be a bit more equal length and I also think its a little long. Definitely alright for the $300 beater motor but I'm thinking too long for the built motor. Primaries are 1.75" and (about) #1-610mm #2-640mm #3-640mm #4-670mm. The secondaries are 2" and are about 600mm and 520mm. I think that ideally the secondaries should be a bit shorter but it came down to the fact I was using off the shelf mandrel bends and trying to fit them into a cunty place! So the kind of ended up just being what they were going to be!
This is a top view looking down at the idler arm. It just clears steering at full lock, I originally had the secondaries running closer to the gearbox so there was quite a bit of clearance but when I took the runners off to make them oval (which didn't work nearly as successfully as i'd hoped) and rewelded them back on the flange is fucking moved about 15mm closer to the idler, but thankfully there is just enough clearance....

I also made my own merge collectors which wasn't actually as hard as I thought, but I would have loved a linisher, would have made the job infinitely easier. This ones the secondary collector its 2" (x2) IN and 2.5" out. This is how I made them

First I cut a scalloped section out, this was eyeballed with a 1mm cutoff disc, I competely fucked up the frst one but the next three were easy enough

Then I cleaned them up with a sanding disc till they fitted together nicely like so

Then I buzzed them up. To get the outlet I cut off a piece of 2.5" about 50mm long. Squashed it in the vice till it was 2" across then trimmed back the length of the collector till It fitted nicely
Finished collector

WHEW big update, should cover me for another couple of months

Also sorry but they are all cellphone pictures cause i'm no god damn lazy to walk all the way upstairs to get the camera
torqued
Datsun God
aka: Adam

Post by torqued »

update covers you for a week.. i expect the same amount of progress next week...

Nice work dude..looks like the holidays have bean kind to you
"It's ok, we know what to do...we talked about this a lot on the internet."
nick_m
Datsun Master

Post by nick_m »

Haha, yeah still only had about 5 days in the garage, with holidays away and what not. But yeah certainly enjoyed being in the garage rather than at work.
dirtyleppa
Datsun God
aka: leppa

Post by dirtyleppa »

very nice work nick, good to see it coming along
Dattochriswagon
Datsun God

Post by Dattochriswagon »

Bout time Nick! Looking good tho!
Holidays are so kind to all Datsun owners! Ive pretty much been at Marks all week and we both been working on our Dattos
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

Lookin good man, look forward to seeing more updates!
datsunboy
Datsun God
aka: Dan

Post by datsunboy »

looking awesome nick!
can you get the headers out without moving the motor? lol
it looks nice and tight in there :tits:
1969 SSS Nissan Bluebird coupe
1970 Datsun 1600 - CA18DET - Sold!
slo_dat

Post by slo_dat »

Looking really good, cool engine choice too. Love the headers and M/c layout.