A15 into 410/411 (E1/J series to A series swap)

all your DIY needs
jeremiahnz
Datsun Driver

A15 into 410/411 (E1/J series to A series swap)

Post by jeremiahnz »

Hi Guys,

Just about to pull the E1 out of my 410 this weekend. The E1 series mounts similar to the J13 in the 410/411's in that it uses a front mount system a little similar to an old Mazda 12a. As such the cross member (which is part of the whole subframe) is quite far forward in the car, to the extent that the sump of the A15 will have to be modified to fit.

The question I have is whether people with some experience in making engine mounts think I should be trying to mount off the cross member, therefore having the mounts on a fair angle back towards the cabin of the car, or whether I should just setup the mounts off the chassis rail (which sits quite high hence make be a fair angle in towards the centre of the car). I will try to get some pics up tomorrow. Not sure if this is similar to how J-series engines are mounted in 520/521's but possibly some of the guys who have done CA18 conversions or similar in them can help out. At least I am hoping someone who has done a J series conversion will have some ideas.

Cheers
Jeremy
1965 Bluebird 410
1976 Yamaha RD50
Bartman
Committee Members

Re: A15 into 410/411 (E1/J series to A series swap)

Post by Bartman »

Do you have any pics of the existing mount set up? It's a bit hard to form an idea when your car is so rare that I've never had a close look at one.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
jeremiahnz
Datsun Driver

Post by jeremiahnz »

I tried to take some pics last night while the engine was still in but they didn't come out clear at all so I will take some more once the engine is out.

Regarding the gear box, I was hoping to use the existing gearbox cross member and just modify a mount for a 60a to fit, but it looks like I may have to use the crossmember that came with the gearbox and therefore mount that to the floor. Typcially do people reinforce the floor pan in anyway if doing this, or just use washes to ensure the bolts don't pull through?

If I end up having to completely fabricate new engine mounts, which thickness steel should I be using? If I have to go down this track I will likely use Sunny rubber mounts but get Plus Plastics to urethane them, and then just fabricate the mount from the crossmember/chassis rail to the rubber mount.
1965 Bluebird 410
1976 Yamaha RD50
grant76
Datsun Nutter

Post by grant76 »

probably best to use a sandwich plate on floor in cabin to reinforce floor rather than just bolts and washers
jeremiahnz
Datsun Driver

Post by jeremiahnz »

By sandwich plate, you mean just a plate of steel per side of the gearbox tunnel with holes drilled for the mount? Would you bother welding it to the floor pan? Roughly what dimensions?
1965 Bluebird 410
1976 Yamaha RD50
grant76
Datsun Nutter

Post by grant76 »

yeah just a rectangular peice of steel with holes drilled for bolts, so your floor is the "meat" in the sandwich between gearbox mount under car and plates in cabin. In all honesty your better to ask the engineer you're going to get to certify it as he may have his own idea's on what he'll pass