Brocky's 250cc Twin - Vintage SuperKart.

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
brocky41
Financial Member
aka: Brocky

Brocky's 250cc Twin - Vintage SuperKart.

Post by brocky41 »

Yet another project - have co owned this beast for about 6 years - was going well until someone blew the bottom end. just getting the wiring and such sorted then we are go again.

Was used in the 80's as a Super car Build for going fast at circuits such as Pukekoe and Manfield.
Was told it used to do over 230kph - by old driver.
Is quite rare now days being twin cylinder - most are single - Is a Yamaha 250cc 2 stroke.

Heres a few things about it

Is a Yamaha 250cc 2 stroke.
5 speed box
Disc Brakes all round
Side pod is actually the fuel tank - Scary if you had someone drill you in the side :fire:
Seating position is on a queer angle due to engine width.
Used to run Methanol -but the carbs were obviously to big and we put 250cc yamy carbs on.
Fuel pump looks like a datto one and works of a cam on the rear axle - IE if your not moving you'll run outta gas.

Ive drivin it a couple of times - trys to lift front wheels off the ground and three wheels (front off the deck) round most corners on a sprint circut.

Ill update this wheel ive got it running and take some vids

dirtyleppa
Datsun God
aka: leppa

Re: Brocky's 250cc Twin - Vintage SuperKart.

Post by dirtyleppa »

chuck an a12 in it, then she will fly :lol:
mint16
Financial Member
aka: Brendan

Post by mint16 »

mean nugs! :tits:
72 Datsun 1200 Wagon
86 Toyota AE85 Trueno 4AGE ITB
Dattodevil
Datsun Addict
aka: Damo

Post by Dattodevil »

Drive it down to the Akaroa cruise!
skdmrx
Financial Member

Post by skdmrx »

to cool for skool! i had an xr125 powerd gokart and it was loads of fun this thing will be unreal.i wanna see videos on youtube
"You make onry one car style!!"
I felt particularly exhausted all my sheet is not subjective
brocky41
Financial Member

Post by brocky41 »

cheers guys it will probably come with us so will have to get hold of local Kart Club and organise the vintage brigade down there for the big meetings - at a big 2day meet wehave here we put on a lunchtime show and had around 20 vintage karts on track - most powered by mcCuluch ? chainsaw engines( 2 are twin 100cc mcculouchs) so this will blow them into the weeds.
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

far out man thats one mean ride, epic stuff
240znz
Financial Member
aka: James

Post by 240znz »

That is indeed a dangerous thing. Looks very much like someone has dumped that engine onto a frame meant for a KT100. No wonder the handling is up the spout.

I used to run a kart with a YZ125J (first water cooled YPVS) on methanol and no clutch for a season here in CHCH. Pure madness and hard to get to sleep the night before racing. Sprint circuits are boring, take it to a car circuit. Have you a selection of sprokets and chains?

Go out and buy some cheap new slicks. Scrub them in over two laps and then give it the boot, you'll be amazed at the changes in handling.
Phatsun
Datsun Dreamer

Post by Phatsun »

Just on the subject.... does any1 in christchurch have an old go-kart frame lying round?
brocky41
Financial Member

Post by brocky41 »

Thanks guys - handling is set up for vintage - we try to get as many 25-30 year old tyres as possible - having the thing handle is even worse - to much grip in the McCullough == Two wheels through most corners :o :o :o - Wheres the fun with handling.

Apparently they used to race these on sprint curcits as well as road racing - this thing has two sprockets on the axle for quick change.

Just a little bit on me,

I raced Karts in Hawkes Bay for 9 years from when i was 9 - won 5 Hawkes Bay titles = numerous other events etc. We then sold up and i brought a TE71 corolla which we caged, race seats harnesses etc and used at the Car club for 3 years.
After becoming a courier driver and buying a house the courier thing basically made me broke and had to sell.

Cant wait to get to CH CH as i really wanna get back on the track -(when the 1200's built hopefully cage out the Y (don't tell Lisa)) - as i know CH CH or basically south island as a whole is Motor sport Crazy.