A12 to A15 Swap into 1971 Datsun 1200

all your DIY needs
darrenwilson
Datsun Driver

A12 to A15 Swap into 1971 Datsun 1200

Post by darrenwilson »

Hey peeps I'm Considering swaping an A15 into the 1200,Could You help me on what modifications needed,Want to make it a street weapon!But i'll like to make swaps from Only A series engines.

Cheers Darren. :)
Long Live Datsun 1200

Check out my thered>> http://www.nzdatsun.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2127" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kitch
Financial Member

Re: A12 to A15 Swap into 1971 Datsun 1200

Post by Kitch »

Darren, I have done this upgrade some time ago, and this is what I recall:
1) upgrade to a ute cross member to accomodate the different engine mounts on the later model A series engines. alternatively you can make up some engine mount adaptor plates, and change the engine mounts to later model ones, but this is a bit messy. and definately not as easy - I had this for a while before swapping to ute cross member and it was ugly, and difficult to get to bolts etc
2) once installed you will need to modify your alternator wiring slightly, due to the alternator position swapping to other side of engine.
3) the exhaust / flows may need some minor mod's due to the A15 engine being slightly 'taller', I had to grind a bit off the top part of my flange at the end of the flows, as was banging on the passenger floor.

If you are upgrading to a 5 speed gearbox at same time, you will need to make a special cross member support to suit the different fixing points on the gearbox, and also remove or modify your reversing switch, or modify the trans tunnel mount lugs as they foul on each other.
You will also need to put a small spigot into the clutch cable "pull" hole, as the original 1200 one is smaller, and will "pull" straight through the hole, or maybe you can swap to a later model (210?) clutch cable.

Others may me able to add more...

good luck - and good for you sticking to A series!

-
Kitch
Financial Member

Post by Kitch »

by the way Darren - prob should have posted up in the technical section for this thread too... ;)
kb110
Datsun Dreamer

Post by kb110 »

I left the alternator on the passenger side down low (like the 1200) by using the mounts off the 1200 block.
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

Check out Brassy's thread, he moved the gearbox mounts to fit the cross member from memory, this can facilitate the reverse switch I think, and would be tidier for authorities etc. Fully endorce ute cross member for engine.
Datsuns from A to Zed
darrenwilson
Datsun Driver

Post by darrenwilson »

Thanks for the feedback Mates.

I've had a little modfications done to the engine mounts cause i'm running late model A12 and gear box Here a pic if you look closely you can see them.

Alternator already rewired to other side of the car due to placement of later a12 block.

.I have already installed a 310 alloy centre diff which handles 125 lb.ft Which would be able to work on the A15.Just want the a15 engine for street/daily driving.Plan to use A 12 flywheel wheel, clutch,pressure plate and clutch disc on the a15. I will also need to upgrade to b310 gearbox cause thats all that i could find due to the rareness of datsun parts over here.Will the 56A hold out for long?
Long Live Datsun 1200

Check out my thered>> http://www.nzdatsun.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2127" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
braasmonkey
Site Admin
aka: Braasy

Post by braasmonkey »

classicdat wrote:Check out Brassy's thread, he moved the gearbox mounts to fit the cross member from memory, this can facilitate the reverse switch I think, and would be tidier for authorities etc. Fully endorce ute cross member for engine.
Correct, the gearbox mounts were drilled out and moved further back, and I still have a working reversing light :) I also used a ute cross member for my A15 upgrade. Bolted straight in.

One thing I would have done differently would have been to get custom mounts made up to drop the engine a couple of centimetres. This would have saved the time 'persuading' the front passenger floor to accommodate the twin side draught headers I popped in. Since the engine block on the A15 is slightly taller than the A12, the extractor collector (4 to 1 section) was fouling up on the passenger foot well. I hate it when you have to try and make things work, and was only because I was on a deadline to try and be rolling by Akaroa 2011 :P

FYI, I too had a more modern A12 installed in my 1200 before I got her. Worked well for its age and condition, no smoke etc. Custom mount (an old brake pad) was all that was needed to make her fit haha Regarding the 56a, mine still went hard, great little box!

- Braasy
1972 DATSUN 1200 (B110) 4 DOOR SEDAN << Check Out My Build Thread
1972 DATSUN 240Z (S30) 2 DOOR COUPE << Check Out My Build Thread
darrenwilson
Datsun Driver

Post by darrenwilson »

Any Help?Would b310,56A gearbox work on to A15?
Long Live Datsun 1200

Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Yes.
They just aren't too long lived if you give them a hard time.
I might be completely (It's happened before) wrong, but there's a decent chance that if you bolt your modified late A12 mounts onto an A15, it should bolt up fine.
What car is the donor a15 out of?
Many people fit A15's from C20 vannettes. if you do this, please use the flywheel off your A12 motor. The Vannette flywheels are much heavier, and they're also thicker too. I've seen quite a few posts at datsun12000.com back in the day where people kept the thicker flywheel, and then wondered why their clutch couldn't work properly. Plus lighter flywheels allow the engine to rev out faster.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
darrenwilson
Datsun Driver

Post by darrenwilson »

Thanks. :)

I wull use a12 flywheel.Check Out how far i've reach :D

http://www.nzdatsun.com/forums/viewtopi ... 7&start=90
Long Live Datsun 1200