Lowering 120y

For all your general datsun ramblings
beaver
Datsun Nutter

Lowering 120y

Post by beaver »

Have had a read of the 120y project threads on here so have some ideas but looking for any other thoughts

Want/need to lower my 120y and plan so far is to get 2" blocks and shorter springs off trademe (dude on there has them both for $280, fronts are 25-35mm). Obviusly 25mm is not = 2" so though of getting some b310 top hats which should bring the drop down to ~2" in the front (have heard they drop it a further ~30mm with no change to springs). Other option is just trim the front springs to suit.

Longer term plan is for reset leaves in the back (Im not asking for lessons on why cut springs or blocks are bad so dont even start...).

Thoughts? Advice? What have others done? anyone got any lowering goodies to sell me?

Cheers
dirtyleppa
Datsun God
aka: leppa

Re: Lowering 120y

Post by dirtyleppa »

ive got some threaded sleeves and lock nuts i could sell. they are 100mm long and 51 ID i think
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

beaver wrote:
Want/need to lower my 120y

Thoughts? Advice? What have others done?
Eat more pies.
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

1200 top hats fit with a little persuasion I could even have a spare pair somewhere.
I'd be running Avenger rear coils if were you. They wont cost the earth, and you can cut them to any length you like. Plus they have a nice spring rate for an A series powered car.

I'm pritty sure belamy and east do blocks. I know they sell u bolts. And postage would be cheap. BUt I'm sure you must have peeps like them up your ways.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
beaver
Datsun Nutter

Post by beaver »

yeh blocks are easy. avenger springs you say? interesting. dadums has some kings springs h thinks are for a b210 so wil give those a whirl. i think il have to cut anything I get anyway. although 30mm from some springs and 20-30mm from tophats would probably be sufficient for now....

ive heard the 1200 tophats have a slighty different stud pcd where the b310 ones are the same as b210 but you need to open up the hole in the tower a bit?
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

I don't think the PCD is different. Maybe the hole is too small for the top to poke through? I know Simon (tlspeedshop) fitted some 1200 ones to his 120y.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
beaver
Datsun Nutter

Post by beaver »

ah sweet. keen to take a pair of your hands (for a small donation of course)
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

If I do indeed still have a spare set. I know I gave one set to simon.
z181200
Datsun Mad

Post by z181200 »

I would reset the leaves as low as you can, then use blocks to easily fine tune the height.
agallagher
Regular

Post by agallagher »

Hey man.I would reccomend getting the leafs reset too.3 or 3 and half inch drop is pretty dumped with a 2 inch block added, but you can easily take them out for a legit ride height for wofs or police troubles.I got a cobra block kit for my 120y and had to re-bend the U bolts to fit the bump stops on there,it was bloody annoying!