Question!

For all your general datsun ramblings
SunnyR32
Financial Member

Question!

Post by SunnyR32 »

Right,

Ive been thinking about do an engine conversion to my B310 Sunny wagon..

Either CA or SR, but leaving them N/A ;)

What would be the easier option?

What would i need and have to do

Engine mounts doesnt anyone know how to make them?

Gearbox will it fit or will have to modify the tunnel?

Drive shaft and diff. Drive shaft ill need a custom one correct?, and the diff i would like to have a strong reliable diff one that can holdup against a couple of skids ;) but i dont want to have a massive rear end conversion.

Wiring is it difficult?

Will i have to replace the fuel lines to be able to keep up with a fuel injected car?

Thats all i can think of for now, if there are any other tips please post, im just trying to do some research :)

Cheers guys!
torqued
Datsun God
aka: Adam

Post by torqued »

Go VG30
"It's ok, we know what to do...we talked about this a lot on the internet."
SunnyR32
Financial Member

Re: Question!

Post by SunnyR32 »

-______-

If i could afford it, SR or CA are the cheaper options..
Garth
Financial Member

Post by Garth »

Everyone who has a ca in their Datsun will say go the ca cause "everyone" does sr's. Everyone who has an sr will say go sr cause "everyone" has a ca.

I vote sr (obvious reason is cause I'm doing it in my 1200).

Motors are pretty much the same size, and you'll get more stock power out of the sr either if you go de or det. In my 1200 we used the standard a12 cross member and just modified it to fit the standard sr mounts.

Motor and gear box is much longer so definitely need a new driveshaft. The stock diff might last a wee while with a de but I wouldn't count on it. Probably best to go with something bigger and stronger and that bit can get expensive. I'll have a measure of my b310 coupe tunnel tomorow and compare it to my sr 1200 and see if you will have to modify that much/at all. You will at a minimum have to probably move the shifter hole.

Will need to wire the new loom to your existing loom and that can cost a few hundy. Also need to change a lot of small things that you forget about like Changing from cable clutch to hydraulic.

I'm guessing sr and ca will bth require similar mods needing done to make it work. Either way they are not going to be that cheap.

There's heaps I will have missed but there is definitely a lot of knowledge on this site about both motors.

Best option - chuck an a15 in there, do an exhaust, and angry can and some Dellortos! Cheap, easy and sounds amazing
Garth
Financial Member

Post by Garth »

Oh and yeah most definitely would need to chane your fuel lines and buy yourself a fuel pump.
SunnyR32
Financial Member

Post by SunnyR32 »

I am leaning more towards sr because there a bit more easier to get,

How much do you have to mod your gear box tunnel?

What diff are you using?,

Did you get your engine to sit low? I'd like mine sitting low for handling,

Do you have a photo of your mounts??

Cheers!
joelbrown
Financial Member
aka: Joel

Post by joelbrown »

someone correct me if im wrong but..

A ca18 with dr30 stumpy gbx will fit a 1200 without having to mod fire wall or tunnel,
so I would bet in a b310 it would be an even easier fit.
1990 1200 ute
SunnyR32
Financial Member

Post by SunnyR32 »

But i want more power ahaha and so i can use it as a mad tow horse ahah
Garth
Financial Member

Post by Garth »

joelbrown wrote:someone correct me if im wrong but..

A ca18 with dr30 stumpy gbx will fit a 1200 without having to mod fire wall or tunnel,
so I would bet in a b310 it would be an even easier fit.
that probably sounds about right so could be a good option.

for my gearbox tunnel we cut it and added about a 2inch section down the middle so really wasn't too much wider...

on this link there are pics of my modified cross member to suit the sr and some pics of the modified tunnel. http://www.nzdatsun.com/forums/viewtopi ... 3&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I wouldn't say my motor is sitting high but I also wouldn't say its sitting low. but with the cross member as it is in the picture there is only about 1-2cm between it and the sump...you would have to space the cross member out to get it lower (I also had to modify my sump to fit my stearing arms etc).

im using a borg warner diff (brought it off the guy who did all my fab work). probably easiest to just go hilux though but will require a bit of modification.

I agree with kitch, go a series and be different haha. a15 with some work has a good bit of torque for towing power.

If I was to look at what ive had to do to get the sr in the 1200 and do it on the cheap (including if I new how to do it all myself) you would probably be looking at 5k minimum (that includes motor/gearbox and diff etc). in saying that there was a guy in aus that put one in a 1200 for $1500 including motor...however its still standard diff...