tuning a15

all your DIY needs
1200 Koozer
Regular

tuning a15

Post by 1200 Koozer »

Hey guys iv just managed to put my freshly rebuilt a15 into my 1200 I havnt installed the distributer yet how do I go about tuning it ?? I have done the valve clearance. Any good links around with tips etc.
tsC20
Datsun Dreamer

Re: tuning a15

Post by tsC20 »

Try You Tube or just Google Tuning A15. Manuals are a good idea too. The valve clearances have to be done to the hot clearance once the motor has had a run to operating temp. A timing light is a good idea too.
Surfez
Financial Member

Re: tuning a15

Post by Surfez »

Firstly, don't forget you really need to recheck valve clearance when the engine is hot, but good start so far as you still need to start somewhere. Make sure the engine is sitting with the crank pulley inline with the notch in the cover for tdc, top dead center. Number one piston should be at the top ready for firing. Put the dizzy into the block so the rotor is pointing at the pin in the dizzy for number one spark plug. Keep in mind as the dizzy goes down into seating position, the rotor will rotate slightly due to the gear engagement on the camshaft, you will have to make an allowance for the rotor when inserting it, so as its seated, it is then in line with the rotor pointing at number one, take the cap off to check this... You should be able to twist the dizzy a little to each side of the rotor position, for setting timming. Take the vacume advance hose off the dizzy when setting the timming, try starting the engine. If the engine has been sitting around, it wouldn't hurt to crank it over with the dizzy disconnected so it wont start, until the oil pressure light goes out, then you know the oil pump is working! Then connect the dizzy up. Get it to idle at around 700-800 rpm. With a timming light, set the dizzy to 10 degrees before tdc. So this is the notch with 10 stamped onit before top dead center. The crank should have a notch on the pulley, this is the bit that needs to be sitting 10 degrees before tdc. Put a white mark on the pulley and the cover at 10 btdc if you want to make it easy to find when timming up. Hope this helps. Heaps of stuff on you tube will help you too.
Datsun Sunny B310 sedan, 3 Owner, Very hot A15 motor, 5 speed, lowered on 14's