Phantom Grip Limited Slip

all your DIY needs
blitzballa
Financial Member
aka: James

Phantom Grip Limited Slip

Post by blitzballa »

Found these guys on Ebay
http://www.phantomgrip.com/Datsun-Sunny ... da7732.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Seems from the article as a good way of upgrading the H165 diffs many people use in to an LSD type diff. Does anyone have any info or has any used this product before? I'm always a bit sceptical about products I find floating around on the net.
Naki-Fisher
Regular
aka: Naki

Re: Phantom Grip Limited Slip

Post by Naki-Fisher »

Nice simple looking set up.
Maybe the guys on the 1200 site have used them before
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

I have a home made (but done pro as) one in my 1200.
Better than open, but not as good as a proper LSD.
Mine has probably had it's best days now. Guys at the drags used to tell me it would unlock sometimes while I was staging.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

I believe what bart is referring to is where the saying "Phantom slip / Random Grip" comes from

The Americans never had much sucess with using them in the bigger diffs, plenty of reports of them damaging perfectly good wheel bearings and ring gears.
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30
Naki-Fisher
Regular
aka: Naki

Post by Naki-Fisher »

Did you have to machine your gears Bart and have got a drawing of it?
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

I don't have any drawings, and yes the side gears needed to be faced. They looked to run true, but were actually not.
If you look under the profile "1200coupe" at http://www.datsun1200.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; he has a photo there of his one. And he told me how to make mine. It would probably be okay for a rally car. We did one for a guy from napier with a circuit car, and with his stiff chassis, and sticky tyres he reckoned it locked and unlocked quite violently. His diff guy reckoned it could be remedied, but I think he's since sold the car.
I actually think it's the reason my diff has stood up for so long tbh. Under harsh impact loading it probably takes the shock off the idler pinions. That or I just got really really really lucky. My diff head came out of a 910 wagon at a wreckers. And it's had untold abuse. And although a 1200 is quite light, my engine makes more torque than most A15's.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............