help me please im new lol

all your DIY needs
project_1200_ute
Datsun Dreamer

help me please im new lol

Post by project_1200_ute »

hay there guys im new 2 this site but loves datsuns spesh my roadstar ute good start rite? lol

im after sum technical questions ive just put a a15 van motor into my ute which was standard a12, the a15 sitts thurther foward in the engine bay which is good because now my gearstick lever is in the center or the gearstick hole in the tunnel, the old a12 not sure if it was the original motor or not as it sat hard upagainst the firewall and i have a feeling had a sadan gearbox on it gearstick sat to far back,

neways now its all sitting there fine i was just wondering if anyone else knows what im goin through?

and now it looks like il have to get a new gearbox mount made up and my driveshaft lenghtend? or is there a way round this? like another model part? or does ne1 know whos best to get this done by?

other issues ive found in the conversion are having to swp the alternator over and i notice waterpump output flanges are different so u can use the a12 fan i guess il just get a electric bolt on fan kitt

does ne1 no if u can use the a15 van distributor? it appears to hav 2 extra wires possibly for electronic egnition?

and last i was trying to sus a sidedraft manifold and extractors for it but appently you kant get any manifolds for the later model van heads u hav to use earlier model ones?

ne1 that can help me with ne issue would be greatly apreciated i live in christchurch if makes ne difference :beer: :beer:
dirtyleppa
Datsun God
aka: leppa

Re: help me please im new lol

Post by dirtyleppa »

speak to damon(dattodevil) as i think he has done this conversion in his ute. he will also be able to help with the carb side of things.

as for the driveshaft, maybe try bolting up a van one and see how she fits.

start a project thread and post up some pics so we can see your ride.
Dattodevil
Datsun Addict
aka: Damo

Post by Dattodevil »

*Standard driveshaft should fit,
*Manifolds are available for dellortos on A15s for about $300 new.
*The gearbox should bolt straight in if it's a four speed.
*Yes you can use the electronic distributor, you will just have to wire it in properly
grant76
Datsun Nutter

Post by grant76 »

1.sedan and ute gearbox are the same so should be same length.

2. If it is an a15 from a van, it'll probably have a 6 blade fan with a huge pully on it so it can have extra belts for power steering etc. Just swap it with the one off the original 1200, you can use waterpump off a12 too. Leaves enough room to fit radiator

3. what year is the ute?. Where was distributor on your a12, towards the front or in the middle of the block? are engine mounts standard?

4. inlet manifolds off a c20 van look a lot different to b310 sunny's and early vans. You can get twincarb manifolds 2nd hand for $100 to $150 or new from companies like redline.com. !978-83 b310 sunnies are rwd a15 engined cars, these manifolds fit onto your engine

5. if distributor is elec ignition, use it. Extra wires may not be needed to make it work. A12 points dizzy will also fit
project_1200_ute
Datsun Dreamer

cheas 4 all your help guys i dont use computer much coz dont hav 1 @ my flat just round @ my olds atm

*ive sused a few problems out in the way ive brought a new a12 water pump on the cheap and gonna run that with original fan
and radiator so thatl work fine
*same with distributor im gona use the van a15 ive herd from other people to that the extra wires wont need to be wired up
*ive also got another a14/a15 head earlier model one coming witch i can get sidedraught manifolds through "palmside" for it
*gearbox mount i managed to turn round and bend to fitt lines up mint

other problems i still have are:

*driveshaft to short id say it mite hav even been shortend if u guys reckon they should be long enough
so dont no what im goin to do there yet?
does anyone hav a standard ute driveshafts? even to try?
otherwise il hav to get it lenghtened i guess

*fuel pump needs to be blocked off as ive got an exturnal one
a12 pump was blocked was gonna use that but noticed the linkage arm on them r different lenghts
and the a15 one looks like more of a mission to block
was finkin id just make up a thick plate section to cover the hole and seal it up

*and does any1 know the wiring sequence 4 the leads to the sparkplugs? its the distributor in the center of the block model never had leads so unsure

and also with the way the oil breathers work off the top of the rocker covers? ive never seen a standard one so dont no much about them my a12 just had a hose loopd with a oil breather filter on a t join and back into the block i could do the same on the a15 i guess but it seemed a bit niggerish and leaked a fair bit of oil on the a12 has any1 ever fitted a or do the ever need a catch tank? a picture of a standard system would help lol
dirtyleppa
Datsun God
aka: leppa

Post by dirtyleppa »

all 4 cylinder cars ive worked on have the firing order as 1, 3, 4, 2. as for the breather, generally, they will feed back into the intake manifold or air filter. seeing as you going twin carbs, may pay to fit a catch can
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Hose from the block goes to the inlet manifold, and the hose from the rockercover goes into the air cleaner.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
kartboy
Committee Members
aka: Hayden

Post by kartboy »

Are you running a 4 or 5 speed gearbox?? and is your drive shaft 1 or 2 pieces?? I have a shaft here for a 5 speed that you can try if you want. seems they are longer than the 4 speed ones.
project_1200_ute
Datsun Dreamer

cheas its 4 speed gearbox aye,
myt stil just run the breather the way it was loopd coz wont have factory manifold anyways