my next project datsun 1200 ute (started)

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
Evil13
Financial Member
aka: kane

Re: my next project datsun 1200 ute (started)

Post by Evil13 »

yea the garage was the reason i bought the house didnt take long to fill up tho
got new sponsorship for the silvia so it got a colour change a big body wrap so itl peel off to green again
started engine assembly and sat quad throttlebodies on got lightweight pullys might go for gilmores later on
sr bellhousing just need a r30 box

back to aussie tomorrow so progress has stopped for 8weeks but ill have some more coin by then to buy parts :D
1200 sedan

1961 ford galaxie
Evil13
Financial Member

Post by Evil13 »

didnt get anything done on the ute on my last trip home had to work on the house instead :( but have extra time off at easter
i took head and quad throttlebodies to a family friend to get port matched and he decided to use oldschool ramflows with butterflys in them instead so not to sure how its going to end up but should look cool.
i have decided to put a bench seat in the ute with column shift because don't want to get forced to sell it if kids turn up as the silvia is only a 2 seater and non practical altho it never goes.
so i purchased a nissan serena column shift gearbox so now i need a column and a bench seat any ideas?

my freind is going to start panel beating it for me in his spare time so looking foward to some progress on it
but i cant decide what i want to do with it
1: ratrod - matt black keep steel rims maybe paint them red, white wall tyres and slam it maybe matt white flames.

2: jdm- slam it on 0 offset wheels wide gaurds and thinking same red as sr20 rocker cover body will have to be really tidy and will take longer to build

3: paint it red again make it look orginalish some nice wheels and lower it and have a practical nice driving ute but again will have to be fairly tidy

i need to decide reasonably soon before it gets panelbeated don't want to redo the gaurds
also what is a good rear end that will handle a sr20de with the odd burnout and grasskana?
should i look at putting on a brake booster and front disc brakes?
1200 sedan

1961 ford galaxie
Kitch
Financial Member

Post by Kitch »

I vote option 3 - but thats just me!

Keep it clean with subtle mod's and go fo the whole sleeper look. chopped out / flared guards can't be "undone" easily if you change your styling preference down the track. and as far as option 1) goes, you are right, build will go from months to years before you know it, not mentioning the $$$......

I am sure there will be bench seats of late 70's mazda or toyota ute,s that would suit, or maybe even a vanette or something might be OK? unsure, unsure how column changes really work, so unsure if something can be retrofitted or if you have to custom fabricate. There are plenty of wee utes with column changes also, again maybe you can find a mazda or toyota that is similiar size/styling that could be adapted? I suppose there is no way to floor change with a bench seat, as SR will push the shifter hard up against the seat any way.

Nick_M and the likes will give you ideas on diff options, but presuming its got an H165 in it already, you could go for an AE86 type LSD centre for it, or 'top gear' type LSD unit. alternatives take a lot more engineering like Shortened Hilux, H190 Datsun, or Borg Warner type. Nick and the guys will let you know about strengh of H165 axles and the likes, but would be OK I would think if its not doing donuts every day???....
gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Post by gingofthesouth »

2 or 3.

Don't worry about engine, keep that standard.
My orangatang 510 here.
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

I vote the sleeper idea too for what it is worth, although I note that the old guys have spoken, taking the conservative route. Can you get the Serena column change, if you got the linkages and all at least you know they are all compatible, albeit needing alteration to fit the B110, levers can be painted and knobs changed.
Datsuns from A to Zed
Evil13
Financial Member

Post by Evil13 »

I'm just going to use cables instead of linkages. I want to try use a old Datsun column want inside of car to look factory but my change it from brown to black if I can find black interior
I found a ae85 rear end but been told ae86 rear ends are better
Moneys not an issue just time as i want to use it in my wedding next November
Yea I think I am better off doing a decent job of it just roll guards a wee bit get some nice wheels lower it abit and repaint it red
Should prob do a brake upgrade don't think drums on the front will cut the mustard
1200 sedan

1961 ford galaxie
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

maybe a bench from a MK1 or MK2 cortina might be close in width?
Given how incredibley narrow the 12 hundys are, you may wind up needing to have a frame shortened and recovered?
620 utes were bench seat come to think of it.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
braasmonkey
Site Admin
aka: Braasy

Post by braasmonkey »

Evil13 wrote:back to aussie tomorrow so progress has stopped for 8weeks but ill have some more coin by then to buy parts :D
Where in OZ dude?

- Braasy
1972 DATSUN 1200 (B110) 4 DOOR SEDAN << Check Out My Build Thread
1972 DATSUN 240Z (S30) 2 DOOR COUPE << Check Out My Build Thread
Evil13
Financial Member

Post by Evil13 »

Porthedland in the mighty pilbara
1200 sedan

1961 ford galaxie
nick_m
Datsun Master
aka: Nick m

Post by nick_m »

H165 should handle a sr20de fine, they are pretty strong. just a little difficult to find LSDs for thats all.