Question!

For all your general datsun ramblings
SunnyR32
Financial Member

Re: Question!

Post by SunnyR32 »

Hmmmmm

A15 is what i originally planned for but i want something with a little more power something that would mind a good going around a track,

SR is looking like the go, I can get most parts pretty cheap, and can do most of the work my self, apart from the wielding and fab work.

For the diff i was thinking that i could use a van diff? are they bigger? or whats the strong ones that will fit without heaps of work?

With the fuel lines and fuel pump how did you go about that?
Garth
Financial Member

Post by Garth »

Yeah I vote go for it! The de's are good cheap reliable motors with cheap parts still available everywhere. And are easy to work on.

Not too sure what diff options are really out there sorry. Maybe have a read through datsun1200 website as they often have some different options.

Fuel lines are pretty easy, I'm just running size 5/16, run steel lines under the car with flexi hose to connect to fuel tank, pump and motor. Though I'm currently in the process of changing to braided fuel line.
SunnyR32
Financial Member

Post by SunnyR32 »

Im probably gonna do it haha, now i need to source an SR20DE? (anyone ;) )

The fuels i didnt suspect it would be to bad, the fuel pump is gonna be hard bit, my mate has an external RB30 one in his 20v 4age so maybe along the same lines would work?,

Diffs i think i can use the vans one, for the time being so i can drive it haha

Cheers
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

Vans come with H165 and H190 Diff Heads, for a DE the 165 should be strong enough for the 'occasional' skid. I don't know of the spring spacing or axle widths or how hard they will be to fit.
If you talk to Dattochriswagon, the Pg 3 boy from Saturdays Press, he would probably say A15, now going by Garth's post this is significant because he fitted a CA to his wagon. He has often said to me that if he was starting again he would go the A series path. Much more straight forward, = quicker = more enjoyment.
A series love a thrash around the track, They are a very rewarding drive, and with Dellortos they sound fantastic! But like Kitch's recommendation mine is Biased, I run an A12! in my 1200.
Nissan spent a lot of money making their cars work well, 310s were used in rallying, fitting them with FJs gave them good go, but made them Lead Arrows, very hard to change direction. A sunny with an A Series that is well worked in it will be an enjoyable drive, with good balance.
Engine swaps take time, do be deceived.
Datsuns from A to Zed
SunnyR32
Financial Member

Post by SunnyR32 »

You do make a good point there about the FJs making the car hard to change direction, hmmmm both options are a goer, i guess its what i can sort out quicker and what i see to have the wagon used for as well,

A15's there hard to come by thats the only let down,
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

A series power could allow a staged build, with Carbs and cam being fitted to the Std engine with an exhaust and then source the A15 and build it up with the car still on the road, swapping it in one weekend, running the same day!
Oh that twin sidies sound and 8 grand all day long, That's what appeals to me. (But of course I am Biased)
Datsuns from A to Zed
mint16
Financial Member
aka: Brendan

Post by mint16 »

I have a mate with a good condition a15 for sale...
72 Datsun 1200 Wagon
86 Toyota AE85 Trueno 4AGE ITB
SunnyR32
Financial Member

Post by SunnyR32 »

Can i have his number please!!

Or get him to contact me,

i dont want to build up the a12 id like to leave it as is so if i sell the car i can slap that back in it,

Cause i already have extractors and a nice exhaust on the wagon
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

I've not read this whole thread, but the SR20de ticks a lot of boxes for me.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
SunnyR32
Financial Member

Post by SunnyR32 »

I will do the sr conversion, but i will do it along the track, i think a15 is the way to go for now and finish my apprenticeship.

Ill just stockpile all the parts for the sr conversion so when its time to do it i can get it done nice and quick!

Now just time to make a list of what ill need!