82' 910 Bluebird

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
Bartman
Committee Members

Re: 82' 910 Bluebird

Post by Bartman »

You dial the degree's of total advance you want. Then when you rev the engine up to the point where it should have full advance and pull the trigger the timing light will flash at tdc. This allows you to set your total advance rather than your static advance/advance at idle.
Last time I enquired about them I think they were $120 Costs lots more than a plain one, but If I had the money I'd buy one.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
skutaman
Financial Member
aka: Bert Newcombe

Post by skutaman »

My mate Anderew, Owner of a 180b sss 4d Running a l18et!! (not on the road yet, sadly...) Came and had a look, she had his head scratching after 1.5hrs of trying all the usual things. :strangle:
She has mint compression, spark (Found and replaced a dodgy lead or two) and fuel, but would only fire on No.1.
He got her running on 3 cylinders and intermittently on No.4.
We worked out that when Grandad did the head and checked the bottom end to make sure all the bearings etc were all good, He had put the dizzy in one tooth retarded! :deadhorse:
So I'm going to sort that Sunday or Monday...
I'm also going to get a set of hotter plugs, at his recommendation, to to help her run a little cleaner. :thumbsup:

Hopefully Annie will be all sorted in the engine department after that :beer:
"Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Standard!"

-81' Sportstar Ute http://www.nzdatsun.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4329 (Project)
-82' 910 Bluebird 'Annie' http://www.nzdatsun.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2259 (Decesed )
DAT620
Datsun Driver
aka: J

Post by DAT620 »

skutaman wrote: He had put the dizzy in one tooth retarded! :deadhorse:

good to hear! bet you were like "Why didnt I think of that?" grandad owes you a six pack!
No matter where you go, there you are.
skutaman
Financial Member

Post by skutaman »

DAT620 wrote:
skutaman wrote: He had put the dizzy in one tooth retarded! :deadhorse:

good to hear! bet you were like "Why didnt I think of that?" grandad owes you a six pack!
I Fully was man! And i would hit my grandad up for a 6pack.
But, there is two issues with that plan:
1. I can't drink because of my DAMN epilepsy... :deadhorse:
And 2. Grandad just went into a resthome a month ago...
(People tend to loose themselves a lil after a few strokes.. :cry: )

Now you know my reason to want to keep Annie!
He had her for 24yrs (Since i was born lol) and i intend on having her for a long time yet! :beer:

I had a crazy day today, didn't her to work on Annie, instead i helped a mate with his project SR20det Ford Courier ute.
Ive been doing all his wiring for him. We started the roof chop today... :crazy: It was interesting

-81' Sportstar Ute http://www.nzdatsun.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4329 (Project)
-82' 910 Bluebird 'Annie' http://www.nzdatsun.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2259 (Decesed )
skutaman
Financial Member

Post by skutaman »

Ok I tried for an hour and failed miserably to get the dizzy shaft around the one tooth needed to get her running sweet... :strangle:

I've talked to my Dad, and he will give me a hand at another attempt when he is in town next :thumbsup:

...I'm soo lost now

DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

I'm sure it's the same as an L28 but there should be two dots that you line up from memory, one on the shaft and one on the oil pump.

If that gets too annoying what I've done before is put the shaft in by itself and lined up to where you want it, then use a pair of vice grips through where the dizzy sits to hold it in place. Look at the shaft from underneath as to where to line up the oil pump, jam it back in and you're done.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
unlimitedpower
Datsun Mad

Post by unlimitedpower »

That is exactly how i did it on a 720 (L18) last night. Made a mark on the front housing where it need to line up to then got the mrs to tell me when the shaft was in the right place. Got her to hold it in place with some pliers then lined the pump up with the shaft and all done. I tried doing it my self for about 15mins first with her help doing it that way only took 5 mins

Remember to fill/prime your oil pump first.
DAT620
Datsun Driver
aka: J

Post by DAT620 »

skutaman wrote: I Fully was man! And i would hit my grandad up for a 6pack.
But, there is two issues with that plan:
1. I can't drink because of my DAMN epilepsy... :deadhorse:
And 2. Grandad just went into a resthome a month ago...
(People tend to loose themselves a lil after a few strokes.. :cry: )
sorry to hear that on both accounts man, +1 on the priming of the oil pump
No matter where you go, there you are.
skutaman
Financial Member

Post by skutaman »

...Long time no post, sorry :poke:

My Father and I Pulled the pump and got it lined up, primed, and back together all sweet,
she runs alot better now :highfive:
I still need to get the timing perfect with a timing light, but running alot better now...

We found that the 3rd cylinder tappets have NO clearance what so ever! :deadhorse:
And 4th is tight. Most of the adjustment screws are wound right out...
Remembering the head is off an ex-rally L20 from the west coast, It would have seen some high temps in its time.
So im on the look out for another head. I don't know if the old "through a 1800 head on it, it will have better compression"
Is true, could anyone enlighten me on this?

I'm finding it quite odd that when i start her cold she runs beautifully (Always have to start her with the choke, hot or cold)
and once she is up to temp then she starts missing... :crazy:

I pulled the spoiler off to check for rust underneath (and to see what she looked like with out it, NAKED!! )
Here's a pic...
2011-11-03 13.03.43.jpg
Im going to strip the boot right back to bear metal and respray it (Expertly with cans...) to remedy the tiny rust dots starting to appear. And then the bonnet in turn. :popcorn:

So if anyone knows of a cheap head let me know! :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kanos

Post by Kanos »

Hey man, nice 910!
I got one myself which is in dire need of getting low. Was wondering what the part number was on the springs and if you'd chucked em in yet? Wouldn't mind having a look at height difference :D