Beaver's 120y coupe

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
Tony_Whenua
Financial Member

Re: Beaver's 120y coupe

Post by Tony_Whenua »

beaver wrote:I was thinking about that today actually. I think ill just stick with the factory setup for now and see how things go. No big deal do whip things off again down the track to do the mods if need be.
haha guttered I was hoping that you would do it and then try your work equips...that way it would give me an idea if the fins would fit!!
"Dude you're like 30 degrees retarded" - Chris_g1 & 2 Doors
beaver
Datsun Nutter

Post by beaver »

The fins should fit sweet, as chucking s13 brakes on was one of the options before I decided to trim the calipers. Pretty sure the s13 calipers are much slimmer than the factory 1200/120y ones so you should be fin.

Im worried about the equips as they are 13" and according to others not all 13s fit over the s13 brakes.
beaver
Datsun Nutter

Post by beaver »

New clutch, pressure plate and release bearing arrive (thanks Bart!). Pressed out old bearing and fitted new one. Will get flywheel machined this weekend (its well pitted etc from sitting) and thats that sorted.

Big thanks to jas1200 for providing part number for new gbox mount, will order one of those today.

Then its time to bolt the box on the motor and ready to drop in!
Kitch
Financial Member

Post by Kitch »

word of advice, from someone who has learned the hard way before:
spend the extra $10 and fit a new spigot bush before fitting up gearbox!
beaver
Datsun Nutter

Post by beaver »

Good thinking, I have a new one sitting somewhere from when I did the manual swap and didnt use it....chances of finding it are slim haha
beaver
Datsun Nutter

Post by beaver »

Good day and bad day.....

Pulled old engine out, chucked new one in (thanks Joe!) and stared wiring it/plumbing it in.

A couple of immediate things to sort but nothing major.

However.....I wired it up in an attempt to start it up. Just a click from the starter motor. Hmm perhaps it a dud I think to my self.

Go to turn motor over by had (it used turn over freely before I bolted gox on) and its super stiff and something is grinding against something.

I guess I must have fucked something up when bolting the flywheel and clutch up, or the release bearing. pretty pissed off tbh haha, have to pull engine and box back out again and see whats what.
beaver
Datsun Nutter

Post by beaver »

happy happy joy joy.

Pulled motor and box out of the hole (2nd time in two days!) and striaght away noticed the starter motor wasnt quite lined up when I bolted it on....woops. Fixed it up and its smooth as.

So will chuck it back in tomorrow and try again!

Also got some camber plates (thanks Brendan!) so coilovers are getting closer to done
beaver
Datsun Nutter

Post by beaver »

bow chicka wow wow

HUUUUUGE thanks to Joe helping me out the last few nights and helping sort out a few teething issues and timing it up etc

Since the video have done throttle cable and plumbed in radiator (just the standard one for now) and starts nicely off the key.

Next up is to sort the gearbox mount and crossmember out, and sort exhaust (hopefully just cut and shut).
gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Post by gingofthesouth »

Good work! Back on the road in no time! :highfive:

Ohh I yearn for that day for my own project!
My orangatang 510 here.
beaver
Datsun Nutter

Post by beaver »

Driveshaft back in, gearbox filled with oil, clutch cable attached with custom (read filed out washer) spacer. The hole in the 60a bellhousing is larger than the standard gbox so the clutch cable just passes through. sorted. Makes the wheels go round even!

Next big jobs are weld up exhaust and then tune it properly, and also need to make up gbox crossmember.

then time for a road test!