1970 datsun 521

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
521 Mgee
aka: Dave

Re: 1970 datsun 521

Post by 521 Mgee »

Heres the latest on the RATSUN 521 (rusty datsun)

Replaced Both outer sills, fixed a heavily dented section in the drivers side B pillar, re-made the upper valance piece, beat the lower valance into shape and just general rust patches here and there.
doesn't sound like much but iv been putting some huge hours in. just not seeing much in reward haha. just got to keep thinking about the finished product in the end.

Heres the finished sills
Passengers side
These end pieces were a mish to fabricate, not sure if there the right shape but who will notice

And the drivers side
From this
to this
ImageImage

this is an example of whats been replaced

Ive tried to get 3 heavy coats of zinc it on the inside of the steel before i welded it all together, so hopefully it will last a while.
plus ill spray all the cavity's with dinatrol (cavity wax) after i paint it.

Heres the upper valance piece
and after a makeover
ImageImageImage

So the next thing Ive started on is re-building the front guards, i ground back some of the bog and found some sweet patches welded directly over rust, so ill be cutting all of that out and replacing it.
Its the same patch-on-rust technique used at the bottom of the doors too, so those will need work too.

After careful inspection i realised my bonnet is completely F*cked and will require a lot of work to get it looking good. A lot of of the inner structure has rusted away, and on top of that the exterior has massive dents in it, and rust holes, and its all warped out of shape by whoever tried to weld it last

So do any of you guys have, or know somebody who has got any parts for a g521?
Im mainly after a bonnet (no.1 priority), L/H headlight surround and some front guards. (its a pretty big ask i know but i thought id might as well ask)
Plus heaps of other bits and pieces, Ill consider anything really, and in any part of the country.

Also i ordered some new front and rear windscreen rubbers, front indicators, and side markers from Ebay. They aren't the best quality but they were very cheap, i think it was under 200 for the whole lot, that's cheaper than just the windscreen rubber from rear spares.
Rust never sleeps...
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

Awesome work on them there sills, great to see this has got into the right hands, I hope you get enough win to keep you motivated.
Datsuns from A to Zed
521 Mgee

Post by 521 Mgee »

classicdat wrote:Awesome work on them there sills, great to see this has got into the right hands, I hope you get enough win to keep you motivated.
hahah cheers man,looking through this site sure gives me motivation!

heres something else me and a mate are working on, im not sure if this is the place to post it but ill do it any way
So my Nana recently moved into a rest home, and offered me up her genuine one lady owner 1993 Columbus 300,
Which is to those not in the no, is infact a mobility scooter.

So we decided were going to go for the world land speed record...on a mobility scooter. the current record is 71mph, were aiming for 100mph (160kph)
Stats:
KTM 300cc two stroke.
Pro-circuit expansion chamber and exhaust
4 wheel conversion
Radiator under the floor
front disc brakes, no rear brakes (burnout machine)
super stiff coilovers (aka no suspension)
rad 6x3 mag wheels
clutch set up on handle bars
Hybrid electric start . so its an electric motor connected to the rear axle via a 1 way bearing, in other words powered crash start capability (pcsc)

heres some of the earlier pics
(theres ratsun in the background)

(Finally figured out how to post bigger pics directly onto the site )
Rust never sleeps...
521 Mgee

Post by 521 Mgee »

After long await, heres some updates on my rusty datsun.

Firstly heres some pics of the work I've done since the last update

So still making some progress which is good, just not coming along as fast as id like, also I've had the last 3 months off due to work requirements. hoping to get back in to it soon!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 521 Mgee on Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rust never sleeps...
521 Mgee

Post by 521 Mgee »

Also I've just been posted to Base Whenuapai, so I've been up in Auckland for the last few months, not making any progress on my ute, (bar polishing the wheels)
Now I've finally got a new flat (and garage), so i took some time off and went back down to get the ute. I ended up with making up an A-Frame and towing the Ratsun back up behind my van.
I decided to mount the motor in the engine bay to sort out the weight distribution for towing, but i had very limited time to make some proper stuff, so ended up just solid mounts.

Heres the mish up from Bulls to Auckland, also along the way i stopped in at Horopito Wreckers, which is a massive yard around the back of mt Ruapehu. Ive always wanted to stop there but it was never open in the weekend when id usually come through. Not this time tho, i was like a kid in a candy store, ill put some pics up in the next update of all the cool cars i found, including many DATSUNS!!!!! (no fukn 521's, let alone with wellsides :( )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rust never sleeps...
521 Mgee

Post by 521 Mgee »

There is so much stuff here, like acres and acres of vehicles, unfortunately a lot of it is tucker though, and only good for the sht that doesn't corrode.

Any way, it wouldn't hurt to ask if they've got bits for your projects, so heres the numbers
Tel 06 358 4151
A/hrs 06 358 4080
http://www.horopitomotors.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rust never sleeps...
niccy
Datsun Driver

Post by niccy »

aww those pictures! that 510 guts me haha

Cool progress man, what a sweet ute :)
Datsun P510 - [ MIS 510 ] - Z18eT

Datsun GB120 Roadstar Ute - Here! - A15, 5 Spd *FOR SALE*
521 Mgee

Post by 521 Mgee »

niccy wrote:aww those pictures! that 510 guts me haha

cheers mate, haha hard! theres a lot of cool cars there, i only wish i could get to them 10 years ago.
Rust never sleeps...
niccy
Datsun Driver

Post by niccy »

521 Mgee wrote:
niccy wrote:aww those pictures! that 510 guts me haha

cheers mate, haha hard! theres a lot of cool cars there, i only wish i could get to them 10 years ago.
Yea definatly, that 240k is sweet too!

Look forward to seeing more of your ute :) Keep us updated with a bomb of photos :D
Datsun P510 - [ MIS 510 ] - Z18eT

Datsun GB120 Roadstar Ute - Here! - A15, 5 Spd *FOR SALE*
wheel_rx

Post by wheel_rx »

Have you done much more on mounting the motor and box?