Whats it like owning a datsun??

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
habitz

Re: Whats it like owning a datsun??

Post by habitz »

i think ther are some out there that may have an out of whack opinion of what a properly restored car cost!?!
The cost to rebuild / build / restore / renew that car or really any classic properly is 3-4x what your thinking its worth. $20k ha ha! get real! If your paying professionals to do a professional job then its costs!

Paint alone is $7-10k materials and labour for a proper job.
Body work if its a rusty car probably the $5-7K new panels and labour etc
every new part available to replace old stuff....$5K?+
then the time to put it together!!! $$$$ :shock:

I know of an early VW scirocco that has cost $50K+ to build. and there is still room to improve.

Its an age old question what a restored car is worth i guess......but i do wish NZers would start to get real about paying good coin for good cars and not trying to get things cheap!

my rant for the day! :deadhorse:

Had some guy try to beat me down on my already cheap 240Z i had for sale.
Maxz546
Datsun Driver
aka: Mike

Post by Maxz546 »

Hmmm true i have had some ridiculous offers on my car now and people trying to get prices down for any reason but i guess a car is only worth what someone else is going to pay for it. The guy was just guessing but is hard to say what a car is worth as the owner has put so much time and effort in themselves that they feel like they are getting ripped off which they kinda are but that's just how things go with cars. Its unfortunate but if you feel like that why would you sell it if it means that much to you
habitz wrote:i think ther are some out there that may have an out of whack opinion of what a properly restored car cost!?!
The cost to rebuild / build / restore / renew that car or really any classic properly is 3-4x what your thinking its worth. $20k ha ha! get real! If your paying professionals to do a professional job then its costs!

I know of an early VW scirocco that has cost $50K+ to build. and there is still room to improve.

Its an age old question what a restored car is worth i guess......but i do wish NZers would start to get real about paying good coin for good cars and not trying to get things cheap!

gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Post by gingofthesouth »

Luke's 510 is the BEST example of a 510 rest I have ever seen. It makes my rebuild look pathetic in comparison. If you bought this car (and replaced the wheels with steelies and datsun hubcaps!), IMHO, you would have the finest restored 510 certainly in the country, possibly the world ( I know, big call, but I have not seen anything to the level of detail he has). It was restored using lead, not bog, the old school way.

I would think $20k+, but then again, it is worth whatever somebody is willing to pay/let it go for.

If you bought it, you would not regret it.
My orangatang 510 here.
Maxz546
Datsun Driver

Post by Maxz546 »

Yeah would loooovvvvveeee to buy it but will wait and see his price. I think his next plan was to get coilovers for it so will see what he wants to do.
gingofthesouth wrote:Luke's 510 is the BEST example of a 510 rest I have ever seen. It makes my rebuild look pathetic in comparison. If you bought this car (and replaced the wheels with steelies and datsun hubcaps!), IMHO, you would have the finest restored 510 certainly in the country, possibly the world ( I know, big call, but I have not seen anything to the level of detail he has).

I would think $20k+, but then again, it is worth whatever somebody is willing to pay/let it go for.

If you bought it, you would not regret it.
gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Post by gingofthesouth »

habitz wrote:i think ther are some out there that may have an out of whack opinion of what a properly restored car cost!?!

You never get back what it costs you for a restore. My car has cost me $42k so far, and even when finished I would get probably only a third of what I spent.

Why? because if you were going to spend restore money, then you might as well do it yourself so everything can be to your taste, to your level of satisfaction, and you would know EXACTLY what you had. That is the benefit.
My orangatang 510 here.
Maxz546
Datsun Driver

Post by Maxz546 »

Very true but his car for me ticks every box i want except maybe for the back curtain. Even the colour is perfect. Standard engine. no rotary in it :D lol but i guess i still would put my final touches on it if i was lucky enough to get her.
gingofthesouth wrote:

You never get back what it costs you for a restore. My car has cost me $42k so far, and even when finished I would get probably only a third of what I spent.

Why? because if you were going to spend restore money, then you might as well do it yourself so everything can be to your taste, to your level of satisfaction, and you would know EXACTLY what you had. That is the benefit.
habitz

Post by habitz »

$20K for that car would be a bargain.
yes agreed if you were restoring them to expect to get your money back on a sale then you wouldn't bother.
They are hobbies and hobbies do cost.

Truly an awesome 510 and a credit to it's owner, no matter how much has been spent.

If it puts smile on your dial whenever you drive it doesn't matter the cost aye!
chris_g1
Committee Members

Post by chris_g1 »

torqued wrote:
Maxz546 wrote:Haha here is the link to the build thread.

http://www.nzdatsun.com/forums/viewtopi ... &start=120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He said he will sell for the right price but i dont know how much she would be worth lol
torqued wrote:
Dr.-Evil-One-Million-Dollars.png
Could be anything. Not enough details
Shit dude. IMHO you would be talking BIG BIG $$$
If it was me offering. I would say $20k + but I am sure people would chime in with various other opinions

I would want way more than that for my car, panel and paint alone cost $27,000. Parts mostly from America or Australia added more than that again.
But I don't intend to sell it but one day, I hope, my grandson will be sensible enough to appreciate the amount of work that it has taken to get it back on the road and accept the job of keeping it on the road for another few years after I'm gone. Etc, etc, blah, blah, blah.
Anyway, if you can get it for $20,000 grab it as quick as you can, take out a loan...I would.
Kitch
Financial Member

Post by Kitch »

Agree with Habitz here

You get what you pay for, a proper restoration Like Lukeys costs big $ for proper better than new repairs & beating & decent paint system. Not to mention the big costs of reconditioning and sourcing NOS parts.

As Ginge says you can spend big money and never get anywhere near your outlay for it if you were to sell up. But generally you dont do a full resto for someone else, you do it for your own indulgence. and you certainly would not 'give it away' if you decided to sell it.

My restoration just on the body to date is near 15K and my coupe is only a small car! and I have not got it painted yet! so I will be easily 20K for paint/panel alone. my car will owe me 'ginge' money by the time it is finished.... if not more... its pretty close already (but I have some OCD / mental health issues) :lol: :roll:

200-300 hours on panel work is not unheard of on a medium sized car; do the maths.... @ $40-60/hr + consumables.... high end solid colour paint system, could be 4-5K in materials & consumables and another 150 hrs for prep, paint & dress work - could easily have spent 25K on a car this size in paint & panel alone.

I dont know what sort of relationship Lukey has with his panel beater/painter, upholsterer, engine builder etc or how much work he does for himself and how much he has to outsource pay others to do. But from one who is slightly in tune with resto costs first hand, I would think this car would owe him in the vicinity of 40K as it sits.

20K would not own it, unless Lukey was desperately in need of some money.....

I would think it would be 30-35K reg/wof (its 95% finished now)

Its show / magazine centrefold quality, and my favourite 510 build on this site for sure, along with Shanes BRE510 ;)

Anyway thats my 2c, Its non of my business, but I guess you were asking for opinions, and like arseholes everyone has one :D
Maxz546
Datsun Driver

Post by Maxz546 »

Haha thank you and makes me nervous about buying one now. If i get one Would i be spending this much on one?! and thats something i cant afford right at this moment. I have also been talking to this person for a week or so know but just waiting for my car to sell. Just wondering will it be worth it for me. They said there is only surface rust and sills been replaced etc but i cannot look at it myself as he is from wellington thats the only this. Here is the link to it on TM

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =607611754" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would it be worth it. I would love it to be a two year build but i dont want it costing as much as yours thats all.
Kitch wrote:Agree with Habitz here

You get what you pay for, a proper restoration Like Lukeys costs big $ for proper better than new repairs & beating & decent paint system. Not to mention the big costs of reconditioning and sourcing NOS parts.

As Ginge says you can spend big money and never get anywhere near your outlay for it if you were to sell up. But generally you dont do a full resto for someone else, you do it for your own indulgence. and you certainly would not 'give it away' if you decided to sell it.

My restoration just on the body to date is near 15K and my coupe is only a small car! and I have not got it painted yet! so I will be easily 20K for paint/panel alone. my car will owe me 'ginge' money by the time it is finished.... if not more... its pretty close already (but I have some OCD / mental health issues) :lol: :roll:

200-300 hours on panel work is not unheard of on a medium sized car; do the maths.... @ $40-60/hr + consumables.... high end solid colour paint system, could be 4-5K in materials & consumables and another 150 hrs for prep, paint & dress work - could easily have spent 25K on a car this size in paint & panel alone.

I dont know what sort of relationship Lukey has with his panel beater/painter, upholsterer, engine builder etc or how much work he does for himself and how much he has to outsource pay others to do. But from one who is slightly in tune with resto costs first hand, I would think this car would owe him in the vicinity of 40K as it sits.

20K would not own it, unless Lukey was desperately in need of some money.....

I would think it would be 30-35K reg/wof (its 95% finished now)

Its show / magazine centrefold quality, and my favourite 510 build on this site for sure, along with Shanes BRE510 ;)

Anyway thats my 2c, Its non of my business, but I guess you were asking for opinions, and like arseholes everyone has one :D