Braasy's Datsun 1200 (B110) 4 Door Sedan

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
braasmonkey
Site Admin
aka: Braasy

Re: Braasy's Datsun 1200 (B110) 4 Door Sedan

Post by braasmonkey »

Hi guys,

Just a final update (with images) for today. Left front guard has been shortened, reshaped and fitted up. Advised right front guard wont require quite as much work. Once mush is happy with the guards, he will fit and weld back on the new front apron. It worked out that time, effort and cost wise, it was just as cheap (and easier) to simply source a new front apron.

The images that follow are of mush and his expertise in making new but badly cast body panels fit:
SAM_1334.JPG
SAM_1335.JPG
SAM_1337.JPG
SAM_1338.JPG
SAM_1339.JPG
SAM_1340.JPG
SAM_1341.JPG
SAM_1342.JPG
SAM_1343.JPG
SAM_1344.JPG
SAM_1345.JPG
SAM_1346.JPG
SAM_1347.JPG
SAM_1348.JPG
SAM_1349.JPG
SAM_1350.JPG
Some frustrating news about my inlet manifold and header combination. Second-hand and brand new sourced inlet manifolds don't fit with my D2 Coby headers. The manifold is hitting the exhaust runners and where the manifold bolts on to the head is being a bitch (we also had to hammer out the passenger foot well to allow enough clearance for the collector). I guess sometimes you just don't know if something will work until you try it. A bit frustrating when it's so close to the cruise... Hopefully we can still get something sorted before Labour Weekend.

For now, I have sourced a new set of D1 Coby headers to test fit (can return them if they don't), just to check clearances etc. If they do, may just have to make the D1's work (in whatever way) and try sell my D2's. I am well informed that D1's suit down-draught and D2's suit side-draught, so unsure why my D2 set is being such a douche.

Will keep you all informed of progress up to Labour Weekend as best I can, gonna be a mad rush to the finish line at this stage. Guess I can be happy that at least my carb recon is pretty much done (thanks Damon), just need to be able to bolt 'em on to test :D

- Braasy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1972 DATSUN 1200 (B110) 4 DOOR SEDAN << Check Out My Build Thread
1972 DATSUN 240Z (S30) 2 DOOR COUPE << Check Out My Build Thread
braasmonkey
Site Admin

Post by braasmonkey »

So, I have hit a bit of a wall and not looking good for Akaroa. Combination of D1/D2 Coby headers and old/new inlet manifold(s) are not working for me. All combinations are hitting in one way or the other, and without major modification, it's not gonna work. Anyone else out there having experienced the same or similar issues able to sing out? I was aware there may be some minor mods required, but this is f*cking ridiculous!
mint16
Financial Member
aka: Brendan

Post by mint16 »

Ive got a set of used extractors you could try??
D1 style, but dont know what brand.
72 Datsun 1200 Wagon
86 Toyota AE85 Trueno 4AGE ITB
braasmonkey
Site Admin

Post by braasmonkey »

mint16 wrote:Ive got a set of used extractors you could try??
D1 style, but dont know what brand.
Txt sent. Other than a custom job, no idea how anyone else would be able to get around my current predicament... Images for reference are as follows (D2's to suit side draught only):
2011-10-17 19.10.50.jpg
2011-10-17 19.12.01.jpg
2011-10-17 19.12.07.jpg
2011-10-17 19.12.16.jpg
2011-10-17 19.12.34.jpg
Question, queries, suggestions, resolutions, OPTIONS!, do let us know.

Regards,

- Braasy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kitch
Financial Member

Post by Kitch »

Braasy, that redline looks way different to any of the maybe 6 sets I have had in my possession over the last few years.

What is the angle relationship between the inlet tubes, and the mounting face of the manifold.
ie if you hold the manifold, with the head inlet side vertical, what angle above horizontal will the runners be?

Looking at the photos, they look like they may be quite flat?

I am sure they should be either 10 or 15 degrees above horizontal (and hence clearing over the top of the flows)

If you compare my inlet manifold you have to these ones, are the angles the same?
braasmonkey
Site Admin

Post by braasmonkey »

Kitch wrote:Braasy, that redline looks way different to any of the maybe 6 sets I have had in my possession over the last few years.

What is the angle relationship between the inlet tubes, and the mounting face of the manifold.
ie if you hold the manifold, with the head inlet side vertical, what angle above horizontal will the runners be?

Looking at the photos, they look like they may be quite flat?

I am sure they should be either 10 or 15 degrees above horizontal (and hence clearing over the top of the flows)

If you compare my inlet manifold you have to these ones, are the angles the same?
Hi Kitch,

Yeah the Redline is pretty flat. Compared your inlet manifold which has a slight angle, but still tested and doesn't/wouldn't bolt up without hitting...

- Braasy
Kitch
Financial Member

Post by Kitch »

I just noticed your manifold has full stud holes at the top corners of the flange. No wonder it doesnt fit.

These need to be cut back IMO, with just a "half hole" present then the headers and the inlet manifold "share" the stud fixing points, by means of thick (6mm or so) heavy domed exhaust washers. (However note the main support on my style of manifold is through the long stud between the inlet ports into the 'bridges' of the manifold. Due to the Redline manifold having a different shape there is no fixing possible between the inlet tubes.)

I had to linish the inlet manifold & header manifolds back (quite a bit) to work together and align correctly when I fitted mine originally.

Does my manifold just about squeeze between your header flanges?
braasmonkey
Site Admin

Post by braasmonkey »

Kitch wrote:I just noticed your manifold has full stud holes at the top corners of the flange. No wonder it doesnt fit.

These need to be cut back IMO, with just a "half hole" present then the headers and the inlet manifold "share" the stud fixing points, by means of thick (6mm or so) heavy domed exhaust washers. (However note the main support on my style of manifold is through the long stud between the inlet ports into the 'bridges' of the manifold. Due to the Redline manifold having a different shape there is no fixing possible between the inlet tubes.)

I had to linish the inlet manifold & header manifolds back (quite a bit) to work together and align correctly when I fitted mine originally.

Does my manifold just about squeeze between your header flanges?
Will let you know when I am back out in Kaiapoi tonight and will take more pics for reference.

- Braasy
mush

Post by mush »

Hey Kitch.
the problem we seem to have is getting clearance past #1 header pipe. All combinations so far have had the same issue. Stud / mounting fitment wont be a problem once we get that close but for now nothing sits closer than an inch off the head without hitting anything. If i linish the lower stud hole back enough to clear the headers, there'd be nothing left to bolt it with. I think your right with the manifold lift though, definately needs to be raised at an angle off the head.
grant76
Datsun Nutter

Post by grant76 »

I think on a manifold i've had in the past, have had to basically remove the lower part of the bottom mounting holes to get it to fit, the thick stud washers that Kitch was talking about clamp the manifold tight with the remaining meat left