Braasy's Datsun 1200 (B110) 4 Door Sedan

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
Kitch
Financial Member

Re: Braasy's Datsun 1200 (B110) 4 Door Sedan

Post by Kitch »

I had a look at my autocad drawing I did of my manifold,
and yes it should run at 15 degrees above horizontal.

I would have thought that provided you get the flanges interacting properly,
I reckon the 15 degree angle would mean the manifold clears the number 1 header.
I would be interested to see my manifold laid on the headers, to see how it clashes.
and you guys said D1's and D2's made no diff ah?
mint16
Financial Member
aka: Brendan

Post by mint16 »

Kitch wrote:and you guys said D1's and D2's made no diff ah?
Who ever said that should own up at Akaroa... :crazy:

Mush should make a steel inlet manifold to solve clearance problem ;)
72 Datsun 1200 Wagon
86 Toyota AE85 Trueno 4AGE ITB
braasmonkey
Site Admin
aka: Braasy

Post by braasmonkey »

mint16 wrote:
Kitch wrote:and you guys said D1's and D2's made no diff ah?
Who ever said that should own up at Akaroa... :crazy:

Mush should make a steel inlet manifold to solve clearance problem ;)
Haha. Thanks Brendan for the header loan, will organise to get dropped back off at some stage (as no longer required). At the moment the manifold is with mush who will see if we can't modify the angle on which it's on, to allow clearance (since it shoots out quite straight as is from the head). Am going to stick with D2's as I find the clearance in the engine bay better, I have already brought and modified them (and exhaust is already perfect from the headers back), and have a bigger pipe diameter. Provided modification can be made, this will mean hopefully less work/effort, and the modifications won't be noticeable/tidier.

Will update on progress/outcome when available.

- Braasy
Last edited by braasmonkey on Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
1972 DATSUN 1200 (B110) 4 DOOR SEDAN << Check Out My Build Thread
1972 DATSUN 240Z (S30) 2 DOOR COUPE << Check Out My Build Thread
braasmonkey
Site Admin

Post by braasmonkey »

Sad to say, but it's a no go for this years Akaroa cruise either (unless someone has a cheap registered, warranted and running Datsun for sale hehe)... Initial workaround to get Redline inlet manifold to fit is a no go, however mush did come up with another option for getting things to fit. Unfortunately, we have run out of time to complete the necessary tasks to get the car up and running. Headers, manifold and carb issues aside, we are not in a position to be running by Sunday (but will pop down and catch up before you guys all depart - will drop off some items for delivery too). Look forward to the post AGM dinner however :)

For now, mush has made the old inlet manifold test fit. The D2 headers will need to be modified slightly to stop pipe numbers 1 and 4 interfering, however, the Redline manifold will need to be returned as it is a no go (at all, which sucks). I will continue to try and source a brand new inlet manifold, but for now my second hand option with reconditioned carbs may have to be the go (at least to get the car running/rolling). Taking this route will require new bolt holes to be drilled into the head to allow the second-hand manifold to work/fit/mount.

For mock-up reference, the following images show Kitch's manifold/carb combo now fitting flat up against the head:
2011-10-20 20.54.43.jpg
2011-10-20 20.54.32.jpg
Also, per the attached images you can see where some slicing and dicing has been done to the headers. This was to allow some movement while test fitting (four mounting bolts have also been removed from the head). This should get us somewhere at least, but with time no longer going to be a factor, we can take our time to get the job done once, and get the job done right (without having to rush).

So far, my setup is the only documented D2 set-up I have come across. If anyone can prove me wrong, it would be greatly appreciated... As noted in a previous post, the Redline inlet manifold is barely on an angle (research proves it should be on up to a 15 degree angle and would certainly have been a major help). Also noticed the Redline manifold sits out further from the head compared to the second-hand manifolds currently on hand/available (which hasn't helped). Whether this is by design or for precise tuning, we are unsure.

More updates to come Saturday, but now resigned to the fact the ol' girl wont going in time :(

- Braasy

NB: I have a second-hand front left panel, bonnet and front apron up for grabs. Also a brand new plastic ute grille. PM if interested. The panels have varying rust and are currently out in Kaiapoi, so if you can pick them up, they're yours :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by braasmonkey on Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kitch
Financial Member

Post by Kitch »

I am sure you still have your standard carb and exhaust lying around?
Can't you just hook that up to get running for the weekend?

I will be in Chch tomorrow arvo, unsure if I have time to catch up, but may flick you a txt

If you didnt get mycarbs to Nick (and you are finished with them for now) I could grab them off you. if you need them for another week or two - no drama. also note there is a side draft manifold for sale on trademe at the moment in Timaru - won't have time till probably monday, but I can check it out for you if you want, to see if its suitable

I fly in about 2pm I think (I am going to Auckland this afternoon to go to the Wales / Australia game... )
braasmonkey
Site Admin

Post by braasmonkey »

Hey guys, just a quick update.

Front end is all fitted up and with trim(s) mocked up to ensure fitment. Am advised by mush that he is happy with the way it's all fitting, and that it's looking really good (which is good enough for me!)

The right front guard has been flared a smidgen and I think mush has done a great job of keeping the flare subtle enough to tie in with shape of the rear guards. He will flare the left guard next, then will put a little shape in the new front apron before welding it into place. Once the front apron is in place, the guards will be pulled off and tidied up on the inside, then under-sealed to protect them from stone chips etc. Rusted sections of the bulkhead will also be replaced before the guards go back on.

I will get my current second-hand inlet manifold back to mush at some stage so he can re-stud the engine head to fit it, and then finish off the headers. Have also asked if he can clean the inlet manifold up to fool me into thinking I have a new one for now :P

Image updates are as follows:
SAM_1463.JPG
SAM_1466.JPG
SAM_1467.JPG
SAM_1468.JPG
SAM_1469.JPG
SAM_1470.JPG
SAM_1471.JPG
SAM_1472.JPG
SAM_1473.JPG
SAM_1474.JPG
- Braasy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

That flaring looks good!
Did anyone grab that Bonnet? I could be interested, certainly would be interested in taking a look at the car, maybe next week?
Datsuns from A to Zed
braasmonkey
Site Admin

Post by braasmonkey »

classicdat wrote:That flaring looks good!
Did anyone grab that Bonnet? I could be interested, certainly would be interested in taking a look at the car, maybe next week?
Bonnet is still around I believe. Car is still out in Kaiapoi, so will organise with mush. When would you be keen to catch up Vaughan (day/time)?

- Braasy
darrenwilson
Datsun Driver

Post by darrenwilson »

Every thing is looking veryy good..Keep it up :thumbsup:
What colour are you going in.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... m=1&itbs=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ?
Long Live Datsun 1200

Check out my thered>> http://www.nzdatsun.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2127" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
braasmonkey
Site Admin

Post by braasmonkey »

darrenwilson wrote:Every thing is looking veryy good..Keep it up :thumbsup:
What colour are you going in.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... m=1&itbs=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ?
Cheers dude :) And still undecided on colour. That blue looks very nice, cheers for the idea! XD May either stay original cream or go to a modern Nissan silver (or something similar)... Too many choices! lol