Concerns with Cert.

all else goes here...
Bartman
Committee Members

Re: Concerns with Cert.

Post by Bartman »

My car is ceritified for being lowered, for a 5 speed gearbox, and for a larger engine. The brakes haven't been certified (yet) but Before I drove the car anywhere, I took a spare strut down to Wayne, and said hey, what do you think of this? He examined all the parts, and said that it looked fine to him. He even called his sone over, and said, "hey, this is what you do should do to your 120Y".
So no, my brakes aren't certed, but I know that they're safe.
Before my car was on the road I rang Wayne regarding what the requirements would be to obtain cert with my intended engine modifications. He explained the things entailed. I'm comfortable that my car meets those criteria.

I feel your allegation that my car is unsafe, is somewhat unfounded, and ill informed. You're also the only person with an irrational phobia of it. Perhaps your judgement on this matter is clouded by your illogical fear?
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
torqued
Datsun God
aka: Adam

Post by torqued »

Well technically bart your car isnt certed for anything ;)
"It's ok, we know what to do...we talked about this a lot on the internet."
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

I have an LVVT plate which begs to differ. I haven't touched the front struts. They're as they were the day I bought the car.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
torqued
Datsun God
aka: Adam

Post by torqued »

anyway. a little of off topic.

i feel factory spec is a little harsh. and thinking that it isnt you ave no place modifying cars.
"It's ok, we know what to do...we talked about this a lot on the internet."
Dattochriswagon
Datsun God

Post by Dattochriswagon »

Thanks Dan. Will catch up this weekend with coin. Thanks for your hard work.
You did mention before your opinion Bart "You're all going to hate me, but "
So im just speaking my mind.Something we both are very good at
Dattodevil
Datsun Addict
aka: Damo

Post by Dattodevil »

I sounds like a good idea to me, but as always, it's up to the law breakers to get away with it and the law enforcers to catch them.

Just another game of Cops and Robbers :D
nick_m
Datsun Master
aka: Nick m

Post by nick_m »

^yeah exactly, they need to put the laws in place to ping the guys that take it too far but unfortunataly it just makes it harder for everyone else. But as stated I think they will reach a compromise it just sucks for the people sitting cert in the short term!!
sr1600
Financial Member
aka: Mark

Post by sr1600 »

Dattodevil wrote:I sounds like a good idea to me, but as always, it's up to the law breakers to get away with it and the law enforcers to catch them.

Just another game of Cops and Robbers :D
1 + deserves a repost

Cracked me up last time through a roadside checkpoint with no rego, was nearly six weeks out
brocky41
Financial Member
aka: Brocky

Post by brocky41 »

I agree with pretty much everyone here - i dont see how 1.5-2 degrees camber in the front of a datsun is going to be any issue. i mean come on - all the euro trash nowadays has at least 3-3.5 and tow out (awesome for your 15-20,000kms on the tyres) factory - i know of many bmws especially X5's that have up to 4 degrees on the rear factory - and thats adjustded to the minimum it will go :o .
Which makes another point - wheel alignments consist of alot more than just camber - a car like ours has usually negative castor and we generally will make shorter rods to increase that to over 3 degrees positive - which is way out of spec for the car - but make it safer to handle at even 100kph. So it wont just be the camber but the whole alignment they should be looking at.

It will be as any WOF is these days and it will depend on who you get and what mood they are in. Just like the two cert guys in chch that i've been told about - don't go to one cause he's all V8 and wont pass anything Jap - go to the other one cause he's more lenient. Even that in itself is BS because all certifiers should be, but aren't the same.

The Issue is going to be the cops policing it as they often do not no or haven't been taught how to go about checking - i mean how many cert plates do you want stuck to the firewall etc. My 120y is not overly modified and i aint got bugger all room left on it to add stuff.
z181200
Datsun Mad

Post by z181200 »

Dont worry guys plenty of silvias, skylines, etc have been certed with a safe amount of camber. Its all up to the the certifier on the day. Theres no point getting scared about what everyones saying on the internet, just build your car and take it for cert.

When I took mine in he was very resonable and its all good.

Or just move to japan and not give a f@$k.