2012 NZ DatNats Trackevening-Fri Oct 19 Read regs Pg 3 Audit

classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Re: Track Day/Evening at Ruapuna on Nats Friday Oct 19 5 pm

Post by classicdat »

Some considerations:
Get your car tuned properly, lean mixture and full throttle = detonation = vented pistons = $$$ :oops: and mess, plus a lot of walking. The biggest disappointment is everyone coming to see your creation go out there an lay down some hot laps and it expires at the end of the straight, with no lap times to brag about. Dyno day could be a good safety outing.

Change your brake fluid. Brake fluid doesn't last for ever, I know you have plenty, and you can see it in the cylinder, but OEM Brake fluid in a Datsun is WAY passed it's use by!
I'll get a little technical, Brake fluid is Aquascopic, what this means is it Absorbs water. Brake fluid boils at 300+ deg, water 100, that's why your pedal goes a bit spongy after a couple of applications of the brakes coming off the Port Hills, the water is turning into gas and then being compressed as you press the pedal, frantically. Don't let $10 for fresh brake fluid ruin your night at the track, or your paint job, when you run out of STOP.
Datsuns from A to Zed
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Hygroscopic.
BNT sell some epic racing fluid that has a very high boiling point. BUt it's like $30per litre. Even it says on the bottle to change it before a meeting/raceday. I hope I'm able to run my datto. I've never been able to fade the stoppers on the 1200. So I'd love to see how they hold up on a track.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
classicdat
Committee Members

Post by classicdat »

Thanx Bart. Hygroscopic it is then.
Just not let us have silly avoidable things happen to ruin anyone's day, The track can be a different world, my Z emptied it's tank in 6 laps!!! Coming out of the sweeper I was dousing the wall out the fuel breather :oops: Also fuel surge can be an issue through the sweeper, can cause lean running on full throttle down the straight. Bring spare fuel to keep her topped up could be good advice.
Datsuns from A to Zed
brocky41
Financial Member
aka: Brocky

Post by brocky41 »

BNT do thier own race brake fluid - RBF500 is the part number - is basically exactly the same as MOTUL 600. Same heat ranges etc.

I just checked and its about $18.50+ GST for a 500ml (Trade) - Motul 600 is around $27-$28 per 500ml.

To me its cheap insurance - running out of brakes at speed will def get the sweats up.
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

brocky41 wrote: running out of brakes at speed will def get the sweats up.
Lucky you never went for a ride in my car before I upgraded the brakes then Brock! hahaha.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
atchernv
Regular

Post by atchernv »

This sounds great - haven't been to any proper NZ Datsun events all the way up in Welly.
If this is the weekend of the famous Akaroa cruise Im keen to bring my rusty thing down for a hoon and make a weekend out of it.
Datsun-less
classicdat
Committee Members

Post by classicdat »

This certainly is the same weekend. We are planning on making a weekend of it so stay tuned for more activities.
This is on the Friday evening the 19th. The NZDatsun AGM is on the Saturday and the cruise is on the Sunday, with Monday for the recovery and cruise home. Make the effort to come down we will make you feel real welcome :D The Akaroa Cruise is awesome, with a great turn out guaranteed.
There is often a Garage day, cruising looking at all the projects and this year some of the guys have even talked of an auto cross, so keep an eye on the forum and book your Ferry crossings now. Get a cruise going with the other NI guys, great drive down the East coast.
Need to arrive in ChCh late afternoon Friday, So Friday morning Sailing would do it easy.
Datsuns from A to Zed
my1200
Datsun Mad

Re: 2012 NZ Datsun Trackday/evening - Friday 19th October

Post by my1200 »

there mate count me in
chris_g1
Committee Members

Post by chris_g1 »

I'm in for a track night we should in chch Friday mid day
classicdat
Committee Members

Post by classicdat »

Sweet we'll put you on the list. How many driving?
Datsuns from A to Zed