Joels b122 sunny truck

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
joelbrown
Financial Member
aka: Joel

Re: Joels b122 sunny truck

Post by joelbrown »

Cheers for all the comments guys,
I took it for blast round the port hills on thursday, feels real sharp- steering feels alot lighter, minimal body roll. It sticks to the road so well thru the corners, way less twitchy in a straight line, luvn it.
The last bit of decent road it saw was last years Akaroa cruise, and it only had 2" blocks and a respray back then, so really looking fwd to Akaroa this year.

I did notice quite a bit of drive shaft and diff noise under engine braking down hill on thurs tho,
and the odd bit of pinging noise from the engine on some up hill pulls :x

Interesting numbers Kitch, With the A15 and 5spd when i still had the 165/70/13's I was getting 3500rpm @100kph on the gps (130 on the speedo) , even tho its at 3800ish @100kph now, that 300 odd rpm extra feels more like 1000. To make it worse the exhaust gets a weird reverb/resonance around those revs too.
Will def be looking into some diff options.

Also yeah the 3" blocks are not exactly legit, tho i have heard of them passing cert if two link style tramp rods are installed.
The rear leaves have already been re-set as far as they would go without wreaking the spring effect.
In the future I may look at doing this kind of mod:
27734952.jpg
From that to this
sdc13800.jpg
And Dan, there was only one brand of tyre that I could get my hands on in that size, it was a toss up between the 165/50 and the 155/55 http://www.yhi.co.nz/tyre/ACHILLES/ATR-K_ECONOMIST" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I got them through Mag n Turbo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by joelbrown on Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1990 1200 ute
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

You could get belemy and east to reverse the spring eyes, so get more low, but still keep the shape needed for the springs to not be poos.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
joelbrown
Financial Member

Post by joelbrown »

Yeah i looked at doing this, I got them reset at belamy and east.
We found the spring would foul on the front eye mount point if the spring was flipped,
There was the option of getting a new leaf made up at the time with just the rear eye reversed
but the cost out weighed the minimal gain. meh.
As you can see in the previous pics the rear shackle is mounted to that big tower, much bigger on the ute compared to sedan or coupe. Big gains if i lop that bitch off, tho it may lead to diff angle probs.
1990 1200 ute
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

Diff angle shouldn't be a big concern, I think you want it slightly down at the front, memory is a bit sketchy though, someone else might know better...jump in if I am wrong... but I think, pointing down slightly is all good, pointing up slightly can lead to axle tramp and poor traction performance. Sorry if I am wrong Joel, it has been a while :?
Datsuns from A to Zed
joelbrown
Financial Member

Post by joelbrown »

Cheers Classic, would make it an easier job if i didnt have to worry bout messing with spring perches,
or sorting wedge shaped blocks.

There are isues with running 3" blocks, they are illegal for a reason, if the engine was pulling huge torque numbers it would get unsafe.

I have got dirty big oversize U bolts installed tho and the over load leaves do help with spring wrap
1990 1200 ute