1970 datsun 521

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
Bartman
Committee Members

Re: 1970 datsun 521

Post by Bartman »

Please do.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
521 Mgee
aka: Dave

Post by 521 Mgee »

Heres my latest update

Ive completed a fair amount of work since the last post, but im really crap at keeping this page up to speed.
Apologies to all

So the below pics show whats been done. On top of those ive also finished the drag link flip, re-covered the dash top, mounted an aluminium radiator, and a few other bits and pieces.

Unfortunately the owner of the house we were renting wants his place back, so i had to put the girl back together and A-frame it to a storage garage.
Ill use these couple of months to re-build the engine, and finish the door cards and dash.

I need to buy an engine stand, can anyone suggest a good place to buy one? Or maybe anyone local in Auckland that wants to sell/lease their one for a couple of months?

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rust never sleeps...
braasmonkey
Site Admin
aka: Braasy

Post by braasmonkey »

Damn, looking good! I'm keen on one of these, so look forward to checking your progress updates :)

- Nick/Braasy
1972 DATSUN 1200 (B110) 4 DOOR SEDAN << Check Out My Build Thread
1972 DATSUN 240Z (S30) 2 DOOR COUPE << Check Out My Build Thread
Kitch
Financial Member

Post by Kitch »

wow great work, progress going well.

That instrument cluster looks amazing!

keep it up
521 Mgee

Post by 521 Mgee »

Thanks for the comments guys, still slowly chipping away at it bit by bit. Was hoping to have it done by our eviction date haha.

Below is a little video of the shifter in action. Gobbily gobbily......

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 ... =2&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another thing i forgot to mention was that ive almost finished the driveline too.
My driveshaft rubber bushing was all tucker, so I bought one off trademe, through some aussie parts supplier. Turns out it doesn't fit. Its actually for a 720 ute, false advertising!

Any way a mate of mine gave me the front half of a manual Cefiro driveshaft so i could use the yolk for my sr20 gearbox. Through pure coincidence, the shaft was exactly the right length, even the flange on the back bolted on to the original 521 rear half!
The only issue was that the Cefiro hanger bearing wasnt going to work, and the 521 bearing wouldnt fit the driveshaft (different dimensions etc). However the 720 bearing/bushing worked sweet, glad I didnt return it.
So the last piece of the puzzle was finding a 720 ute hanger bearing mount to go around the outside off the rubber. I found one in the weekend at Pik a part in Mangere.

Pretty stoaked its all worked out using factory Nissan bits and pieces, and i dont need to go get a custom one made. They can get pricey, from memory my vans one was about $600

Whats the rules on certifying driveshafts any way? Will I need to make up one/two driveshaft loops, even though ive used factory Nissan components?
Cheers, Dave
Rust never sleeps...
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

Yeah two piece driveshaft needs two hoops. It's my understanding that any engine conversion these days need driveshaft hoops

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Kitch
Financial Member

Post by Kitch »

yeah greg is right, you need hoops due to engine mod's regardless of what components you use.

50x6mm material - but Craig from Proparts will hook you up for some off the shelf products if they are compatiable with your setup

PS: watched your video, and I think your carbs are out of balance :lol:
521 Mgee

Post by 521 Mgee »

Kitch wrote:yeah greg is right, you need hoops due to engine mod's regardless of what components you use.

50x6mm material - but Craig from Proparts will hook you up for some off the shelf products if they are compatiable with your setup

PS: watched your video, and I think your carbs are out of balance :lol:
Haha, yeahp she's a bit rough.
Cheers,I'll see what he's got and see if it will work. I reckon the forward one might need to be mounted to the gearbox,I guess that'll be legal. Another question while I'm on the topic,who's the best down to earth certifier to use up here in Auckland?
Rust never sleeps...
datsun 521 ute

Post by datsun 521 ute »

Great work on the metal fabrication and coming along very well.
Just curious what motor was originally in this? You said your tailshaft has the centre bearing? Australias 521 was only released with a J13(datsun 1300) or J15(datsun 1500) for the later model 521. They were all released with a 1 piece tailshaft unless it was the LWB(long wheel base) model which had the 2 piece tailshaft. The US got the 521 with the L16 and all got the 2 piece tailshaft. So if you are looking for a tub just be cautious yours may be a LWB and only these tubs will fit. Wheel base for standard is approx 2.53m and LWB is approx 2.9m.
521 Mgee

Post by 521 Mgee »

datsun 521 ute wrote:Great work on the metal fabrication and coming along very well.
Just curious what motor was originally in this? You said your tailshaft has the centre bearing? Australias 521 was only released with a J13(datsun 1300) or J15(datsun 1500) for the later model 521. They were all released with a 1 piece tailshaft unless it was the LWB(long wheel base) model which had the 2 piece tailshaft. The US got the 521 with the L16 and all got the 2 piece tailshaft. So if you are looking for a tub just be cautious yours may be a LWB and only these tubs will fit. Wheel base for standard is approx 2.53m and LWB is approx 2.9m.
Thanks for the heads up mate, i didnt even know that they made LWB versions etc. I measured my wheel base last night and it was approx 2.8m so im pretty confident its a long wheel base jobbie.
Bit gutted about that actually, i was planning to import a wellside tub from America. I wonder how much of an issue it would be to shorten the chassis? And where the best place to cut it would be?
Mine was a factory J13. So much for not having to cut and modify the driveshaft haha.
Rust never sleeps...