DJZ's 280ZX

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
DJZ
Datsun God

Re: DJZ's 280ZX

Post by DJZ »

Got what I think is the correct bearing on the way, it should be a GSB334 which is listed for some Datsun 1600s and 240Zs! Will know in a couple of days.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Release bearing looks like it will work, I think it's actually slightly shorter than either of the other two which is good, I was a bit worried that I was going to have to change the carrier. I tried to measure the clearance between the bearing and the fingers and ended up at -2mm which wasn't looking good, but then I realised that without the clutch plates in (I just had the cover bolted to the flywheel) the fingers don't get pulled down, so with the clutch plates in and this shorter bearing I should be okay.

Will try and get the box back in on the weekend.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Should hopefully be able to get the box back in tomorrow. Borrowed a torque wrench from work to do up the cover bolt as neither of mine go low enough.

Original bearing:

New bearing:

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Alright, first impressions are that twin plates are yuuuuuuuuck. Once you're moving it's sweet but taking off is a nightmare, went for about a 10 minute drive, stalled it twice, you need to be fully committed to what you're doing and rev it to about 1600 - 1800 before taking your foot off the clutch or it bogs down too much. Will have to keep practicing. Reversing is interesting.

Also it's pretty noisy with the clutch pedal depressed, it's no real surprise though as most people say that twin plates are.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

Sweet!! Assuming you got Zac to sort the bearing out as that's a Clutch Industries part number ;)
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Datto_610 wrote:Sweet!! Assuming you got Zac to sort the bearing out as that's a Clutch Industries part number ;)
Got Hayden at Sydenham to get it, I used to work with him at Burnside, but good spotting :) I rang Saeco Hornby first and they were the ones that crossed over the part number from the genuine number for me but apparently couldn't supply one.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

Haha I see, I see.
tlssunny
Financial Member
aka: jesse

Post by tlssunny »

did you get hayden at repco sydenham to sort it???? as hes a real company man and wounldnt sort you a good price!
RDAP- Rakaia Datsun b310 Auto Parts
TLS- The Late Shift Restoration Services
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Still getting used to the clutch, it's still pretty yuck.

Got this little flick spoiler off a guy in the Z Club yesterday, I've never had a rear spoiler on this car before so was a bit hesitant about drilling holes in the boot but after I pulled the trim off it's actually really rusty inside so now I don't feel so bad.

And yes that is a Subaru I'm working on in the background, and yes I hate myself for offering to do it.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Ivan
Datsun Nutter
aka: Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Damm that spoiler looks great Daniel, Nice work man
Datsun 260c

https://www.facebook.com/groups/jdmridesnz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;