Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

So it goes faster now? Speed holes?
DJZ
Datsun God

Re:

Post by DJZ »

Datto_610 wrote:So it goes faster now? Speed holes?
Definitely, must have removed about 10 grams of aluminium, weight reduction to the max!
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Re: DJZ's 280ZX

Post by DJZ »

While on the Southern Cruise I started noticing a noise from the right rear especially while rolling at slow speed, thought I'd investigate it today so I jacked up the car and ran it in gear and it looked like the brake caliper was moving in and out slightly. I pulled the wheel off and took the caliper off and oddly the brake pads are worn on a taper but top to bottom rather than left to right.

I had to space the caliper out when I put the Z31 rotors on it and it's possible the spacers are too small in the outside diameter which is letting the caliper wobble a bit. I'm going to put a DTI on the rotor tomorrow and see if it's warped or if the hub is slogged out again.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Made some new caliper spacers on the mill that are much more substantial, bought some new brake pads too. Haven't quite got it back together yet but I'll do that over the next couple of days. I've got some new wheel bearings just in case I need to replace them.

I thought while it was sitting there I'd try and swap the engine mounts for the Castlemaine Rod Shop ones and urethane mounts with safety interlocks in them, the drivers side mount isn't very easy to get out and after getting it out and getting the new one in I found out they aren't going to work, they are made to sit the motor back about another 25mm and I can't do that as the plenum won't clear the clutch master cylinder. I'll use them on the white car instead.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Had a quick measure with the DTI, the face where the pad runs was running out by about 0.6mm, the face where the wheel bolts to was running out by 0.45mm, and the caliper was definitely moving in and out still. I've pulled it apart and can't really see anything wrong with the bearings but I'll change them again as well as the hub after I take it down to work and swap the studs over into the new hub. Need to also change the bolts that the axle bolts to the companion flange with now that I've got some genuine ones, I've been running shortened cap screws since I put the big axles in.

I've been planning on investigating fitting an internal drum hand brake to this thing for ages, I got a set of back plates etc off (I think) an R31 ages ago, might have a go at mocking that up, I want to do this so I can fit two piston calipers to the rear and there aren't many two piston calipers around that have built in hand brakes.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

So I got a price from HBI to make new ones (minus the spline which they can't do) and it's $300 in material alone per stub axle to make them out of 4140 so each one is going to cost over $500. I rang Mace Engineering as they advertise metal spraying on their website but weren't keen to do it either, he suggested I try Pole's Electroplating and see about getting them hard chromed which I might do at some stage, I think I've found one which will be okay, it measured spot on in all but one place.

Will try and get it back together today or tomorrow, I think it might actually have run out of warrant.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Had a quick look at the internal drum backing plates tonight, the centre hole in them is too small by 3mm and the bolt holes aren't going to line up but there's enough meat in the control arm to tap new holes I think. Might chuck the backing plate in the mill tomorrow and try and open up the centre.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
SRDATO
Financial Member
aka: Nic

Post by SRDATO »

M S Coombes also do metal spraying. Smart guys there that can fix most things. Talk to Chris
MADDAT SR20DET 510 - Sold
94 GTR Skyline 580hp money pit
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

SRDATO wrote:M S Coombes also do metal spraying. Smart guys there that can fix most things. Talk to Chris
Sweet, thanks man, I'll give them a yell.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread