DJZ's 280ZX

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
DJZ
Datsun God

Re: DJZ's 280ZX

Post by DJZ »

Modified the centre hole in the back plate so it fits over now, I don't have an R31 rotor to try on it so I might get an R32 one or something similar to try.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

Fuck yeah that's pretty cool!
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

I've got complete C32 rear brakes, backing plates, rotors, cables etc which should be the same as R31 if you want to try those.
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

broke wrote:I've got complete C32 rear brakes, backing plates, rotors, cables etc which should be the same as R31 if you want to try those.
Sweet man, do you have the control arms as well? I'm not 100% sure I'm going to do it, probably won't do it right now as it's due for a warrant, need to get some 2 piston rear calipers to try as well.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

Sold the arms sorry, I mainly wanted to see if they worked for you so that I can see if they'll work on my 510 and if they affect the track width without having to get dirty myself :) but could be keen on a swap for standard ZX brakes - I assume they're internal drum also?
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

broke wrote:Sold the arms sorry, I mainly wanted to see if they worked for you so that I can see if they'll work on my 510 and if they affect the track width without having to get dirty myself :) but could be keen on a swap for standard ZX brakes - I assume they're internal drum also?
Nah, the standard calipers have the hand brake built in, hence the reason for trying the internal drums, can't really upgrade the standard stuff apart from going to late Z31 vented rears like James.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
gman
Financial Member
aka: gman

Post by gman »

Are s14 rotors the same? if so I have some you can have
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Put this back together this evening, spent way too long putting the inner bearing in trying not to wreck it, I also didn't tighten up the companion flange nut as tight as usual, the manual is a bit vague but basically you can tighten to a maximum of 240ftlb, I did it up to 150ftlb so we'll see how that goes. Also changed the companion flange to axle bolts to proper Z31 bolts instead of what I had in there, which probably won't make any difference but makes me feel a little better.

The run out has decreased quite a bit down to about .15mm which I think is probably the rotor itself now so I might take them both off and get them skimmed.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Thanks to Stuart after a very long time looking I've now got a pair of Fairlady Z non over rider bumpers, will try and get them on the car over the next couple of weeks.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Yay, new back bumper on. Found a bit of rust in the chassis rail that the mount slides into though which isn't so good. The new mounts don't have the shocks like the original bumper and the bumper is only held to the mounts by one bolt on each side rather than four each side like the original one.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread