Hanmer Cruise 2012

Bartman
Committee Members

Re: Hanmer Cruise 2012

Post by Bartman »

Hey Joel. I've seen your ute kicking around.
The factory redline is 6000. The standard valve springs tend to bounce at around 7250. But most standard engines don't really make power after 5800-6000. MIne has a badly worn timing chain. Which retards the cam timing a bit, and makes it slightly more inclined to rev out further. (It's still slow as a turd though)
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

joelbrown wrote:Howdys, im a "newbie" to the scene but id be keen to come along, it will be a bit of a thrash for the ute [stat a12 n 4spd n low geared diff] so i hope i dnt hold yall up. 100kph at 4k rpm, i normally cruise rnd 90kph. -Off topic a bit but i was wondering at what eng rpm is the redline for a standard a12? Ive got a after mkt tach and anythng ova 4.5 or 5k rpm sounds like instant death 4 it.
I've seen 12 grand, and yes that was instant death :lol:
My first a12 reved regularly to about 8 grand, Valve bounce limits the revs, and as you continue using this as the rev limiter the springs lose their tension and the limit reduces.
A good a12 will live at 6 grand, my Std crank, cast piston, balanced engine did 10 years abuse in a Rally / race car finally breaking a rod bolt 2 & 3/4 hours into an enduro. 4 grand is nothing to a healthy a12. Just wear ear plugs or something to soak up the blood from you bleeding ear drums.
Datsuns from A to Zed
kartboy
Committee Members
aka: Hayden

Post by kartboy »

Who would be keen for an earlier start time??? For those only going for the day it doesn't leave much time for lunch and pools by the time we stop at Hurunui pub etc.

I was thinking 9 am meet and leave 9.30.
Dattochriswagon
Datsun God

Post by Dattochriswagon »

Sounds like we are gonna have a good turnout with the the welly crew. Newbies and all these new local 510s!

Im keen for a early start too. Less time in car parks. More time in the Hot pools!
mint16
Financial Member
aka: Brendan

Post by mint16 »

Yeah Im keen and in agreeance.
Lets hit the road and make good time, its a lot fairer on members making Hanmer a day trip having the time to do everything before heading back.
And what happened last year on the way there, many stops?
After departing we should be meeting at Hurunui pub next, no need for group stops along the way like previous years.
72 Datsun 1200 Wagon
86 Toyota AE85 Trueno 4AGE ITB
dirtyleppa
Datsun God
aka: leppa

Post by dirtyleppa »

sounds like a good idea, but i wont be able to make it. might come to the meet in the morning
classicdat
Committee Members

Post by classicdat »

I'm keen for the earlier start, whether I cruise or just meet, sounds like a better use of the day.
Datsuns from A to Zed
woodies72coupe
Committee Members

Post by woodies72coupe »

Hi all! I'll be coming along with my screaming a12!!! Mine sits at 3800rpm at 100k too. So won't be caning it that hard!
Yea right!
I'll be heading up for the day though.

I'll be there early too.
classicdat
Committee Members

Post by classicdat »

woodies72coupe wrote:Hi all! I'll be coming along with my screaming a12!!! Mine sits at 3800rpm at 100k too. So won't be caning it that hard!
Yea right!
I'll be heading up for the day though.

I'll be there early too.
That sounds about the right ratio, 7600 at 200k, still another 400 RPM to reach the red line and that 125mph! :highfive:
Datsuns from A to Zed
joelbrown
Financial Member
aka: Joel

Post by joelbrown »

Cheers 4 the rpm feed bak, and yea 3800rpm is where my ute speedo reads 100kph. Trouble is in reality that is only bout 90kph, my ute speedo is rnd 10kph out rnd the top end. So thats y i meant 100k's @ 4k. -- BTW My mtr has a a15 carb and it tends to make the mtr splutter and ova heat if i bury the pedal at the 100/115kph mark [ponder that] but not at any other stage of opperation.- Also id go any time of the day on sat to chk out all these rides, but wudnt that run the risk of splittn the pack? And i no of others that r coming along that r not members of this website. Im coming with at least 1 extra in a 1200 sedan.
1990 1200 ute