DJZ's 280ZX

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
DJZ
Datsun God

Re: DJZ's 280ZX

Post by DJZ »

Bartman wrote:What rods did you go with?
Went with Eagle ones in the end, I did a lot of research and they have a pretty good name and should be fine at the power level I'm going for. It seems likely that a lot of the cheaper rods (including Eagle) come out of the same factory in China but I think they'll have good backup if I have any trouble - I bought them from Paul at NZ Performance.

I need a head gasket as well, I've got a 1mm Tomei one but I think one closer to standard thickness would be better for this motor.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
gman
Financial Member
aka: gman

Post by gman »

Yes even carrillo are forged in China and machined in the States . Have you tried a cometic head gasket never have a problem with them in race cars and they are priced well ?
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

gman wrote:Yes even carrillo are forged in China and machined in the States . Have you tried a cometic head gasket never have a problem with them in race cars and they are priced well ?
Yeah I've looked at them, lots of stories out there about how crap they are, but they are probably just stories, will investigate further.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
gman
Financial Member

Post by gman »

DJZ wrote:
gman wrote:Yes even carrillo are forged in China and machined in the States . Have you tried a cometic head gasket never have a problem with them in race cars and they are priced well ?
Yeah I've looked at them, lots of stories out there about how crap they are, but they are probably just stories, will investigate further.
I have always found when people have problems with steal head gaskets of any type is that they don't no how to prep the head and block surfaces properly or the wrong boar size.
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

Interesting you say that gman, some of the Toyota "7M-BHGTE" guys reckon you need a virtually mirror smooth finish on the block for the MLS head gaskets to work, is that what you recommend?
gman
Financial Member

Post by gman »

broke wrote:Interesting you say that gman, some of the Toyota "7M-BHGTE" guys reckon you need a virtually mirror smooth finish on the block for the MLS head gaskets to work, is that what you recommend?
Yes there is no give in a MLS head gasket so if its not flat and smooth dry and free from oil you will have problems.
gman
Financial Member

Post by gman »

This is a L28 turbo I am doing at the moment. This is the finish you need on the head and the block and your MSL will never let you down?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Yup, there is a "surface roughness" measurement and recommendations for running MLS gaskets. The original block has already been done for a metal gasket, the new block will also be done and I haven't have a good look at the head yet but it was already being used with a metal gasket.

A Tomei gasket on it's own from ST Hitec is $430, the set which is head, throttle body, inlet manifold, exhaust manifold gaskets and an oil restrictor is $495. Will think about what the next step is, might get Greg to price an ACL and a Permaseal one too.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
gman
Financial Member

Post by gman »

DJZ wrote:Yup, there is a "surface roughness" measurement and recommendations for running MLS gaskets. The original block has already been done for a metal gasket, the new block will also be done and I haven't have a good look at the head yet but it was already being used with a metal gasket.

A Tomei gasket on it's own from ST Hitec is $430, the set which is head, throttle body, inlet manifold, exhaust manifold gaskets and an oil restrictor is $495. Will think about what the next step is, might get Greg to price an ACL and a Permaseal one too.
$250 for a Cometic I think?
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

gman wrote:
DJZ wrote:Yup, there is a "surface roughness" measurement and recommendations for running MLS gaskets. The original block has already been done for a metal gasket, the new block will also be done and I haven't have a good look at the head yet but it was already being used with a metal gasket.

$250 for a Cometic I think?
Yup, $260 odd on Trademe.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread