Datsun God

Re: DJZ's 280ZX

Post by 2 doors »

Love your work , keep it coming.
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Started putting the old head back together today, new viton stem seals and the work that Fleming did on the inlet valves. I suck at photography btw.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Got the inlet cam back in and have measured up all the clearances, I don't think I'm going to have the right shims to reassemble it, will have to track down some thinner ones from somewhere.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

So this is for the balls out final engine?
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Bartman wrote:So this is for the balls out final engine?
Nah, this is the old head, I need to put it back together so I can sell the motor/find another car to put it in.

Got the rings for this, oddly enough they are made in Japan, will get them over to the engine builder asap.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
gman
Financial Member
aka: gman

Post by gman »

DJZ wrote:
Bartman wrote:So this is for the balls out final engine?
Nah, this is the old head, I need to put it back together so I can sell the motor/find another car to put it in.

Got the rings for this, oddly enough they are made in Japan, will get them over to the engine builder asap.
That would be right CP don't make rings.
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

I've been thinking about what to do about going back to coil on plug, I think for the moment I'm going to borrow 6 of the coils out of the VK, they have the same plug on them as Neo RB25 coils and I happen to have a spare Neo coil loom, I'm going to buy a matching engine loom side plug for it and remove the twin post Mitsi coils and RB ignitor that I've been using as the VK coils have the ignitors built in.

The VK/VQ/VR coils are longer than the factory ones so I'll have to make up a bracket to mount them to which isn't too hard, might do it on the water jet cutter at work. There are kits available in Japan but they're like $500 for a couple of bits of aluminium. The only thing I'm not too happy about is I won't be able to run the factory coil cover but that's okay, if I don't like it I can always go back without too much trouble.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Ordered a new Neo coil loom from Amayama today and also a direct fit air temp sensor. I'll need to replace the part of the intercooler piping that the old sensor was screwed in to but I'll worry about that once the motor is back in.

Trying to compile a list of other stuff I need, a timing belt and power steering lines are top priority at the moment.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Got the new coil loom, 4 days delivery from Japan to my door, not too shabby.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Had another look at the "good" head today and it's actually more ported than I though, it still has the bumps in the exhaust ports but the inlet ports look pretty good apart from the valve guides being cut back. I'm in the process of stripping it to replace the stem seals and I think I'll just remove the exhaust port bumps myself and put it back together.

Also dummied up the coils and new loom on the other head, I think I'm going to go back to the other set of rocker covers I've got seeing as I can't run the coil cover, they are standard black at the moment, haven't decided whether to change the colour of them of not.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread