DJZ's 280ZX

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Re: DJZ's 280ZX

Post by classicdat »

:thumbsup: Like. Admire your Progress, Inspiring me, as I sit at the computer, rather than getting a car going.
Datsuns from A to Zed
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Ordered the ECU side plug for the coil setup from NZEFI, feel a bit sad about paying $35 for one plug but I couldn't find one anywhere else and nice new new is better than trying to reuse 10 year old brittle plugs. Went to cut out the coil mounting bracket template yesterday but couldn't get the DXF to work from Fusion360 so will try to import it in to Solidworks and convert it from there, will be cutting it out of cardboard on the table cutter at work to check the bolt hole spacing before cutting it out on the waterjet.

There's a couple of improvements to the car I want to make as well, I'm going to build a catch can/windscreen washer reservoir to fit in where the battery tray & original plastic reservoir was. Should be pretty easy to make a template of but welding it together so that it's water tight between the two sections is probably beyond my abilities. Need to replace the head light buckets for my spare unbroken ones and get them painted, need to fit the head light covers that I've had for a couple of years, clearance the floor for the companion flanges and investigate fitting the radius rod brackets from the parts C35 to this, I've never really liked the radius rod setup that I put on this thing. I've also though about changing the bottom arms back to Z ones in a similar setup to what I did on Asher's car.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Bought this fibreglass bonnet off Trademe, probably won't see it for a week or two. It's unfinished and hasn't had the hood vents cut out fully so hopefully there is enough glass in there to cut them out bigger for the turbo vents I've had hanging around for ages.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
gman
Financial Member
aka: gman

Post by gman »

DJZ wrote:Bought this fibreglass bonnet off Trademe, probably won't see it for a week or two. It's unfinished and hasn't had the hood vents cut out fully so hopefully there is enough glass in there to cut them out bigger for the turbo vents I've had hanging around for ages.

Nice if it turns out its no good for you I have a mint steel one ?
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Got the air temp sensor today all the way from Lithuania, should do the trick. Got the plug from NZEfi yesterday as well, will try and figure out what I've done with the wiring and get that on the car this weekend. I think I need to split the trigger wires before the plug as I was running a three channel ignitor before and now the computer has to trigger 6 coils.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Got the word that the engine is going back together now but I need to get the oil squirters to them, once I find where I've put them.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Had to buy another set of squirters as I could only find 5, I have a feeling I had to give them a replacement for one for the other motor as they though one looked a bit dodge. They're on the way now so might have the engine back later this week or next week.

Bonnet has arrived in Christchurch, just have to go and pick it up from my old work. Will have to look at fitting Aerocatches to it as I don't think it has provisions for the factory latch.

Bought 10 new TPS plugs which are on the way - thanks Aliexpress, I had cut the plug off the old TPS and had put one of those yuck three terminal white ones on it, the new plenum set has a new looking TPS with the factory plug on it so I thought I'd use that.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

After about 4 weeks of trying to get this done I finally cut out the template for the coil adaptor, it looks pretty good - I think the bolt holes for the coils are very slightly off, I'll fix that and cut one out of aluminium next week. I've been thinking about making the final one out of carbon fibre as there's a pile of off cuts at work that I could use.

You can see how roughly how high it needs to sit - I very roughly measured that I need to make posts about 75mm long to sit it on.

Also got a couple of 150psi pressure sensors, I've been meaning to put a proper oil pressure sensor on the car since I broke the oil pump. I'll probably put it inline with the turbo oil feed to start off with just to check that as per the Garrett instructions then replace my oil pressure switch with it as through the Link it can switch the light on and off. The other one will be for fuel pressure, there's a port in the middle of the rail as it can be used as a centre feed rail but I think it wouldn't look right so I'll have to get a tee and put it at the firewall end of the rail.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Put all the coils in and it looks pretty spot on, sorry for the angled photo. Started on the wiring for them as well, there isn't enough room in the terminals to double up the wires so I'll have to splice them together before the plug which I'll do at work next week as we've got proper bits for it and I don't at home. Might make the adaptor a bit narrower as well, I don't think it needs to be as wide or as long as it is.

Had a bit more of a look over stuff that I'm going to need and bits that I want to tidy up so have a couple more things to buy.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

Nice Work DJ
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30