DJZ's 280ZX

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
DJZ
Datsun God

Re: DJZ's 280ZX

Post by DJZ »

Got word this morning that the engine is ready, will try and pick it up on the weekend. I've still got lots of work to do and lots of bits to buy but I should have this going again hopefully within a month. Tried to cut out the coil adaptor but somebody had cut the air line for the water jet for some reason and I couldn't be bothered fixing it today, so maybe tomorrow.

Made the decision today to swap the Japanese flywheel that I had as well, I think I may as well while everything is apart.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Cut the first ali sample out yesterday, didn't turn out quite right as I offset for the kerf the wrong way so the holes were all too big. Also need to rotate the coils slightly as most rearward mounting bolt hole is going to interfere with the back of the rear coil. Will try and make another one before the weekend.

One of the guys at work is busy setting up the engine dyno for the first time so Zac and I have been talking about tuning this ourselves which would be pretty fun, just have to make some mounting plates up and an adaptor to bolt the dyno drive shaft to the crank which is pretty easy to do.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Bigish weekend working on car stuff, started taking the head apart finally, got the exhaust side apart and will do the inlet side one night this week.

Picked up the finished block and fibreglass bonnet today, the bonnet is really well made and really light, will have to wait until I can get the car out of the garage before putting it on.

Also tried the new coil mount, everything looks good apart from one hole which didn't go all the way through which was my fault for trying to run it too fast, the coil bolt holes line up better than they did before, just have to get some 6mm rivnuts and make the stand offs and spacers. I've been thinking about making the stand offs out of titanium as we've got some 13.5mm round bar but it might be more trouble than it's worth.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

Looks good man!
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Put the bell housing in the mill at work to measure the bolt pattern to make up a plate for the dyno, I forgot to get photos of the RB one but I did the VK housing at the same time.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

Fancy! Is this mill doing some kind of fancy-schmancy digital CAD type measuring? Are you doing an adapter plate, or going to try a cut and shut?
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

broke wrote:Fancy! Is this mill doing some kind of fancy-schmancy digital CAD type measuring? Are you doing an adapter plate, or going to try a cut and shut?
Yeah that's the touch probe in the spindle, it measures at 4 points in a hole and gives you the centre, so what I've got is a list of hole centre coordinates, as well as the centre of the input shaft bearing hole for a reference point.

For the RB it's just to make a mounting plate to put the motor in the stand for the engine dyno, but I still want to put a 350Z 6 speed in the black car so I might use the measurements to make an adaptor plate for the RB at some stage, measuring the VK one was definitely for an adaptor plate.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Envy Much, what a nice toy. Hope the Job is going well. Having access to a Dyno will be such an asset too, that VK will get closer real quick.
Datsuns from A to Zed
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Took the oil pump apart to prime it, gave it a clean and ran a tap through the sump bolt holes at the same time and put it back together with loctite on the screws. I'm going to pull the pressure relief valve apart so I can see if it's been shimmed or not, apparently when you buy these new they come with three optional shims, on my motor I would probably run either none or one but it'll be interesting to see if there are any in it.

Just have to find the bolts for it now, not sure where they ended up when we moved. I need to buy a water pump gasket as well as the new N1 pump I've got doesn't have one with it.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

awesome work, your a clever bugger aye.