James Z31 Engine Blueprinting

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
Bartman
Committee Members

Re: James 1985 300zx.

Post by Bartman »

85_Z31 wrote: 5) Start of nice and low boost and work my way up to at least 20psi.

Fixed!
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

85_Z31 wrote: Bought a heap of exhaust tube, bends and fittings
IMG_2580.JPG
IMG_2591.JPG
IMG_2596.JPG
So i got that looking pretty good, apart from a small miscalculation that meant i had to use a second v band to save a part that i welded on the wrong angle.

Few other set backs though.

Either from Contamination in the oil line or in the turbo itself a piece of carbon blocked an oil port and ruined the lower bearing. Caught it in time so the shaft and wheels are not harmed. Had i send it in to the shop for a high speed balance without running it up to oil pressure it would have seized up on their machine.

And my front Brake calipers are looking a bit said as one is partially stuck and tried to take out Damo during wof :deadhorse:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30
torqued
Datsun God
aka: Adam

Post by torqued »

So she's alive :highfive:
This has made me a happy boy

Id turn your V band clamps upside down.
"It's ok, we know what to do...we talked about this a lot on the internet."
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

Pretty sure this car just hates me.

Front calipers rebuilt and operating very nicely quite happy with how they came out.

Thought problem was solved, went for Friday WOF, Brake balance still being dodgy.

Spent all evening friday night and all morning cleaning the slides, making sure they were moving free. Bleed the living crap out of them. The left side initially wasn't getting any fluid out of the bleed hole.

AHA so no fluid at the Left means all the fluid goes to the right and therres the imbalance.

Thought i had it sussed out got the fluid to come out both evenly, run it up to speed on the axle stands and watched that the piston moved when the brake pedal was applied, seemed fine.

Took it for WOF again and this time i went with the Inspector and when he stands on the brakes at 30kmh the faarking right rear wheel just locks up and spins the car sideways.

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

I paid good money for those rear calipers to be rebuilt by the shop but it seems like it was a waste of money if they can't even last a couple of years.
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

After a bit of faffing around i finally got a WOF on this thing which im pretty happy about.

Also trying out a set of new wheels on loan which i think rather suit the car.

Having issues overheating though, My 2x 12" fans seems to pull plenty of air but without a shroud the temperature just keeps creeping.

Ive done the following

Ams Oil Propelyne Glycol fully synthetic coolant
New Nissan OEM 76deg themostart
New Alloy Radiator ( same as what DJZ has used without any trouble)
Brand new dual 12" fans 1850 cfm rated

At the moment there is no shroud and i get about 25 minutes with the gauge at 1/3 ( around 82 degrees read from the ecu ) but after that it seems to heat soak and if you pull over and open the bonnet hot air zooms out and it recovers. I'm having a shroud made up to see how it improved cooling

here are some pictures

DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Those wheels look good on it. Maybe you need to louver the bonnet to let some of the hot air out? Is it raised at the back on purpose?
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

DJZ wrote:Those wheels look good on it. Maybe you need to louver the bonnet to let some of the hot air out? Is it raised at the back on purpose?
It used to sit about 35mm lower when it had softer coil springs in the back, the setup can go pretty slam but i would need shorter shocks

( already raised the mounts 50mm and had 50mm taken off the shock shaft ) The front can come down pretty flush then it gets a sweet 80's rake look going.

I was messing around with 280zx turbo bonnet louvers but some pretty extreme holes would need to be cut. Its temporarily got spaced up bonnet hinges to give it somewhere for the air to escape.
gman
Financial Member
aka: gman

Post by gman »

James as silly as it may sound make shore the fans are going the right way I don't now how many times I have seen cars on the track get hot because someone had them going the wrong way.
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

^^^^^very good point!
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

gman wrote:James as silly as it may sound make shore the fans are going the right way I don't now how many times I have seen cars on the track get hot because someone had them going the wrong way.
Cheers Graeme

Both fans are pulling, the old viscous fan was also a pull fan.