James Z31 Engine Blueprinting

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Re: James 1985 300zx.

Post by 85_Z31 »

cooling issues are pretty much sorted, i added a fresh air duct to the air filter, a wee plate to direct flow through the inter-cooler and of course the fan shroud.

it bow stays cool on open road and its %80 sorted for low speed and traffic. I'm going to build a fully sick drop vent for bonnet and pro bally add an oil cooler too
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

sounds like a good result
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

It got pretty stinking hot taking it over the hills to Akaroa. Upon pulling in at the hilltop the headers were glowing red.

So that's pointing to excessive EGT's which is a tuning issue. I have snagged an oil cooler kit from Trade me with remote filter and all the lines and what not. Getting that fitted along with venting the bonnet should get it a bit more reliable for some dyno tuning.
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

got this oil cooler for basically nothing , came with legit aeroquip hose and fittings. should work nicely!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

You going to include a thermostat block James? To prevent oil scour on cold days?
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

Bartman wrote:You going to include a thermostat block James? To prevent oil scour on cold days?
Yup i certainly will be. the more i think about it that cooler may be a bit wide. But for $30 its given me a heap of fittings and the filter relocation block which i needed anyway. needs more investigation.

bit on an uopdate the car is now running awesomely well, turns out it was running 10deg retarded and a nistune timimg offset was masking the problem on a timing light. it now runs smooth and crispy. I'm just going through the process of sorting out some bugs with the data logging gear ( i really mean a total legend is doing it for me ) so that it can be road tuned and eventually dyno tuned.
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Yes!
:burnout: :burnout: :burnout:
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
D1RTY6
Financial Member
aka: Nathan

Post by D1RTY6 »

Agree with Bart :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

had a bit of a tinker with the new bonnet latches and making some clear acrylic headlight covers.

So far its a sucess, cutting in the latches was a bit of a pain but now i can make a cardboard template and just transfer it over to the other side.

For the headlight covers im trying to replicate these....

and this is where i got to ..

the idea was to go oldschool and make the first one by hand, trnsfer into CAD and have DJZ cnc me up a bunch so that if one breaks or gets all scratched i can just bust out a new one.
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

Looking great, just a tip, when making your pattern use clear plastic as you can trace your pattern in marker pen and see all the details through the plastic, then reverse it for the other side.