Club car coming together

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
b110sss
Datsun Dreamer

Re: Club car coming together

Post by b110sss »

Hi Aaron,
Firstly great looking little car, can't wait to see it in the flesh.
Re the fueling problems I have had exactly the same problem with my supercharged A14 before we built the fuel injection system for it.
Now I know that this sounds a tad unorthodox but please bear...
Assuming that you have you fueling sorted as eluded to by the other guys ( fuel pump/ fuel line size ) then this is what we did.
On an SU carb the choke simply drops the main jet ( I think that I have this round the right way- a good 20 years ago now! )
If you connect up the choke then just take it for a drive and pull the choke out varying amounts and you will soon work out by the seat of your pants whether or not it is running stronger or not.
The mechanic who was tuning my engine thought that he had it running great and when I showed him what I had done and he took it for a drive he was staggered as to how much stonger it ran.
He then got into some serious needle pruning- not just filing and there was a LARGE amount removed. This was on a 1 3/4" SU.
How did all this come about? Long story after fiddling about with Lucas mechanical injection on a Triumph TR6 where we had it running generally lean but could richen things up using the choke having disconnected the secondary cable to the butterflies and it was just a spur of the moment thought to try it after going through exactly what you are...
Let me know if it works for you.
Cheers
Dave
my1200
Datsun Mad

Post by my1200 »

Dave thats a great idea thanks so much for taking the time to help.
I will inform my brothers and will take your thoughts and have a damn good go at that.
Thanks Dave.
my1200
Datsun Mad

Post by my1200 »

Cheers Brock, got to get the cage sorted, and inside painted, More camber and caster and she'll be mean.
brocky41
Financial Member
aka: Brocky

Post by brocky41 »

b110sss wrote:Hi Aaron,
Firstly great looking little car, can't wait to see it in the flesh.
Re the fueling problems I have had exactly the same problem with my supercharged A14 before we built the fuel injection system for it.
Now I know that this sounds a tad unorthodox but please bear...
Assuming that you have you fueling sorted as eluded to by the other guys ( fuel pump/ fuel line size ) then this is what we did.
On an SU carb the choke simply drops the main jet ( I think that I have this round the right way- a good 20 years ago now! )
If you connect up the choke then just take it for a drive and pull the choke out varying amounts and you will soon work out by the seat of your pants whether or not it is running stronger or not.

The mechanic who was tuning my engine thought that he had it running great and when I showed him what I had done and he took it for a drive he was staggered as to how much stonger it ran.
He then got into some serious needle pruning- not just filing and there was a LARGE amount removed. This was on a 1 3/4" SU.
How did all this come about? Long story after fiddling about with Lucas mechanical injection on a Triumph TR6 where we had it running generally lean but could richen things up using the choke having disconnected the secondary cable to the butterflies and it was just a spur of the moment thought to try it after going through exactly what you are...
Let me know if it works for you.
Cheers
Dave

Thats awesome - like richening up a 2 stroke race KT100 mid race on the jets. Never heard of it being done in a car thou - "oh bro getting a bit of detonation - ill just pull the choke out a bit more". That kind of thinking saves engines.

Also Dave has alot of good little handling tricks up his sleeve Aaron especially for 1200 sedans :thumbsup: :thumbsup: .

Dave you must bring your car to the Trackday to show the boys how a SSS really goes. :burnout: :burnout:
my1200
Datsun Mad

Post by my1200 »

sounds mean, want to get car at track too.
b110sss
Datsun Dreamer

Post by b110sss »

Dave you must bring your car to the Trackday to show the boys how a SSS really goes

[quote][/quote]

Yes, I'll defintely be there.
Gave the old girl a shake down at Levels on the weekend and its going great and the handling is just awesume. However once again the brakes have been found wanting. Time to get serious and invest in some 4 pots and vented rotors...
Unfortunatley the ex Murdoch 1200SSS had the front rearranged after a skirmish with a spinning Alfa 155

Aaron if you want to have a yarn re setting the car up give me a call or pop on over. I'm happy to impart what ( limited ) knowledge I have.

Cheers
Dave
Kitch
Financial Member

Post by Kitch »

OH NO !!!! didnt hear about that.
Browney will be spewing.... first time out, massive overev shears flywheel bolts and spits out timing chain through front cover, second time out... whack.....
b110sss
Datsun Dreamer

Post by b110sss »

Quite frankly I felt a bit sick looking at it, although its a bit rough its a seriously cool little car. He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time and nowhere to go. The Alfa driver was no bunny either, probably just a case of cold tyres and pushing on a bit hard early in the race- that was after he blew 1st gear warming up the rears.....
my1200
Datsun Mad

Post by my1200 »

Dave thats so cool of you, would be keen as mustard mate. What days suit etc and
I could even throw the car on a transporter and rock on over.
Its at Electrical shop today getting looked at.
Whats ya number Dave.

Cheers
b110sss
Datsun Dreamer

Post by b110sss »

Probably some time on the weekend best. We're over near West Morelands. Give me a call or txt 021370046