Jeremy's 1965 Datsun Bluebird 410

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
jeremiahnz
Datsun Driver

Re: Jeremy's 1965 Datsun Bluebird 410

Post by jeremiahnz »

suberimakuri wrote:yeah, unless you're trying to preserve the engine, might also be more likely to just hit the loud pedal less when not needed, even if higher boost is available.
You make it sound so easy.
1965 Bluebird 410
1976 Yamaha RD50
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Don't listen to that heresy!
Like I said right back at the start, an S/C 12 on an A15 running 1:1 should be just fine. Since you're going EFI, you'll be able to intercool the boost, so detonation shouldn't be any issue with your set up.
I run 1:1 with an SC 14 on my A15 with my crude as drawthrough set up, and I have limited detonation. So with the smaller pump, you will be fine and dandy.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
jeremiahnz
Datsun Driver

Post by jeremiahnz »

Just picked two of these up for $90 on trademe.

They are U13 rotors, brand new, the same part as dattodevil used.

Just need to convince some gc to hook me up caliper brackets now :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1965 Bluebird 410
1976 Yamaha RD50
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

I'll look into getting the file after the hanmer cruise. I might need a picture of you diff and rear leaves as the sit though. There are a couple of versions, and many variables that can lead to fouling.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
jeremiahnz
Datsun Driver

Post by jeremiahnz »

Cheers Bart, will get a picture soon - I keep going out to the garage getting distracted and forgetting.

In other news I was sick yesterday so whilst lying in bed read this excellent thread about brake upgrades for the 410/411's http://community.ratsun.net/topic/10125 ... ge__st__20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even if you don't have a 410/411 it is worth while as a step through guide for making brake adapter plates.

I had originally purchased a set of 280zx struts with brakes to look to adapt them, but after reading that thread will probably look for some P10 primera brakes, as he used, or some P11 brakes which may simplify the adapter plate, but won't allow me to run 14's (not that I was planning to, just like to keep my options open).

So I may have a full 280zx strut/brake setup available soon (once I make my mind up). Anyone know if these are worth much, as they could finance either a H190 vanette diff or the primera brakes?

Mmmm beer
1965 Bluebird 410
1976 Yamaha RD50
nick_m
Datsun Master
aka: Nick m

Post by nick_m »

That conversion looked alright, doesn't look like theres much room to play with. Although primera disc's and calipers are pretty hefty, 260mmx22 rotor and a pretty big caliper too! I'd do S13 smaller caliper and piston if it was me They have the same bolt spacing but a thinner rotor. Probably a bit easier t fit and it'd still pull up a 410 pretty sharply.

Only thing i'll say about the way that US dude did it is is I'm pretty sure we can't get brake components that have been welded here certified, I'm not sure you'll need to check. You may be able to if you get them crack tested. Just something to check before diving in
The other way you might get round it (and i'd probably do it for piece of mind anyway) is after you've welded the small arm bits on drill and ream it and smash a nice big 10 or 12mm dowel in there. That way you could argue they dowel is taking the load and the weld is just for glueing everything together
jeremiahnz
Datsun Driver

Post by jeremiahnz »

nick_m wrote:That conversion looked alright, doesn't look like theres much room to play with. Although primera disc's and calipers are pretty hefty, 260mmx22 rotor and a pretty big caliper too!
I think the P10 rotors are 254mm and some P11 rotors are 280mm. I may actually try the 280mm brakes first, not for stopping distance but so I can space the caliper out more and mount the braket to all four bolt holes on the hub.
nick_m wrote:Only thing i'll say about the way that US dude did it is is I'm pretty sure we can't get brake components that have been welded here certified, I'm not sure you'll need to check. You may be able to if you get them crack tested. Just something to check before diving inThe other way you might get round it (and i'd probably do it for piece of mind anyway) is after you've welded the small arm bits on drill and ream it and smash a nice big 10 or 12mm dowel in there. That way you could argue they dowel is taking the load and the weld is just for glueing everything together
Yeah, I agree - the welded brakets are a little scary. I was thinking of welding them up as template then getting them milled, but not sure how much this would cost.

The dowel idea is a good alternative to getting it milled. I'll have to have a chat with the cert man and get his thoughts on it.

Cheers
1965 Bluebird 410
1976 Yamaha RD50
nick_m
Datsun Master
aka: Nick m

Post by nick_m »

I got p10 rotors on my car they are 260mm and yeah I think your right about p11's being 280mm
I also believe u12's are 260 and u13's are 280 as well (same rotors) I could be wrong but a quick look through the dba website will confirm that (http://www.dba.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Not all U13's are 280mm. I scavenged some off a U13 (maybe an ARX model?) and when I got home to give them a measure, there were like 255 or something.
jeremiahnz
Datsun Driver

Post by jeremiahnz »

Ok, quick update.

Have been working on the intake setup a little. Currently only averaging around 1hr a week on the car due to having a young family.

Here's a pic of the intake runners.
SDC11701.JPG
And one with the plenum just sitting on them
SDC11702.JPG
I have also been looking at the extractors which will be pretty tight fit with how the chassis rail sits in. I am thinking I will have to cut the block breather pipe back to about 20-30mm in length to create some more room.

Also, I have been looking at my diff options and want to get a H190 in there. The plan was to use a vanette diff and run front wheel drive mags. My current diff measure 1280mm drum-to-drum. I believe a vanette diff is around 1390mm (if anyone can confirm that will be great). My brother just bought some multi-stud 17's with a +40mm offset, so I sat them on the car with some 20mm spacers on the rear to see if they would fit. Obviously a vanette diff would have them sitting out another 30mm per side on top of this so getting anything like this under the guards will be an issue.
SDC11698.JPG
SDC11706.JPG
SDC11708.JPG
I want to avoid getting the diff shortened so if anybody has any suggestions of wheels 15inch or larger (to fit brakes), that may fit well let me know. I am keen on looking at some wheels that I believe come off early 180sx's. They are 15's and have lots of small spokes. The wheels on my brothers mags are 205/45/17 - not sure what inch width this makes the mags off the top of my head, but I presume something with less width could fit ok.

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1965 Bluebird 410
1976 Yamaha RD50