S/C 1200 Coupe // Nissan 300ZX

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
dirtyleppa
Datsun God
aka: leppa

Re: S/C 1200 Coupe // Nissan 300ZX

Post by dirtyleppa »

it may just need to be adjusted on the lever itself, or its completely stretched. just go to disc and that way you got some much better brakes for the ride back from akaroa
Speed_Freak
Financial Member
aka: Matt

Post by Speed_Freak »

dirtyleppa wrote:it may just need to be adjusted on the lever itself, or its completely stretched. just go to disc and that way you got some much better brakes for the ride back from akaroa
Well the guy at idiots r brakes seemed to think it was too short so he lengthened it but now its got way to much slack and the thread is just about touching the other side of the cable which shouldnt be like that. The only thing I can think of that explains why one side is grabbing more is that one side has a different brake cylinder in it which could be setting the pads further out than the other side OR incorrect adjustment... but drums do better skids!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
1972 Datsun CA18 supercharged 1200 coupe (old skdmrx)
1976 Mazda 808/RX 12a Rotary
1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo Manual ;)
dirtyleppa
Datsun God

Post by dirtyleppa »

maybe its grabing one side due to incorrect adjustment, or that one side of the cable is slightly shorter. drums may do better skids but thats what a line locker is for :lol: i could pop round some time and have a look for ya if you want
Speed_Freak
Financial Member

Post by Speed_Freak »

dirtyleppa wrote:maybe its grabing one side due to incorrect adjustment, or that one side of the cable is slightly shorter. drums may do better skids but thats what a line locker is for :lol: i could pop round some time and have a look for ya if you want
Its down on the same side with handbrake (cable) AND foot brake (fluid) so yea I suppose it could be adjustment, but im def going back to the idiots and askin for an explanation on why the work was carried out when it was not needed and never worked lol
Dattochriswagon
Datsun God

Post by Dattochriswagon »

Convert to hilux diff- Solves problems with snapping axles
Convert hilux diff to disc brake using U11 Bluebird callipers and discs
Easy and cheap!
Do it!
Not worth fuckn around with a spazda diff that is only gonna give you grief down the track.
Talk to John he got a few Hilux diffs at his he shortening and i got bluebird caliper brackets you can copy!
nick_m
Datsun Master
aka: Nick m

Post by nick_m »

Leaking wheel cylinder? Check the high side as when fluid leaks on the shoes it makes them sticky (read higher on brake machine)
I went through all this on one of my cars and it HAD disc brakes. Drove me fuckin nuts I still never really worked it out I ended up getting a WOF but I think the WOF man just felt sorry for me after about the 4th fail
If you haven't adjusted them to the best you can then start with that
Speed_Freak
Financial Member

Post by Speed_Freak »

Dattochriswagon wrote:Convert to hilux diff- Solves problems with snapping axles
Convert hilux diff to disc brake using U11 Bluebird callipers and discs
Easy and cheap!
Do it!
Not worth fuckn around with a spazda diff that is only gonna give you grief down the track.
Talk to John he got a few Hilux diffs at his he shortening and i got bluebird caliper brackets you can copy!
Well to be honest a hilux diff isnt going to be any stronger than what ive got. The diff gets an absolute hiding thats in it atm and is still doing the job perfectly. The only reason why the axle snapped is because of the way ya machine axles down. They shouldnt be resplined as it leaves a sharp edge and a weak spot. Always chop in the middle and weld. Royce Clive told me this as he does all his diff axles this way even in sprint cars and he never has problems (or so he says) and they have never snapped since ive got him to do it to the set that are in it at the moment. Another reason why I prob wont is that I dont even know if a hilux diff will fit under a coupe its pretty close as it is atm...
Speed_Freak
Financial Member

Post by Speed_Freak »

nick_m wrote:Leaking wheel cylinder? Check the high side as when fluid leaks on the shoes it makes them sticky (read higher on brake machine)
I went through all this on one of my cars and it HAD disc brakes. Drove me fuckin nuts I still never really worked it out I ended up getting a WOF but I think the WOF man just felt sorry for me after about the 4th fail
If you haven't adjusted them to the best you can then start with that
Brand new about 3 months ago but one is a different shape that could have something to do with it, just had drums re skimmed and oversized linings put on... the only way to find out really is to swap the wheel cylinders over to see if the braking performance follows
dirtyleppa
Datsun God

Post by dirtyleppa »

i have a brake roller at work if ya wanna get a performance read out on your brakes. it may just be worth it to swap over the cylinders etc and see if it makes a difference. failing that take it back to dicks r us and tell them to sort there shit out
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Speed_Freak wrote:The only reason why the axle snapped is because of the way ya machine axles down. They shouldnt be resplined as it leaves a sharp edge and a weak spot. Always chop in the middle and weld. Royce Clive told me this as he does all his diff axles this way even in sprint cars and he never has problems (or so he says)

I know a lot of engineers who don't like this practice. I'm not even an engineer, and I don't like the idea of welding something which is so high tesile.

Also hilux diffs are stupidly big for such a small car. And if you wanna go real low you have to cut up the floorpan of the car. not to mention the mad unsprung weight, and extra drivetrain losses from the larger gears.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............