910 Wagon Project

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
Bartman
Committee Members

Re: 910 Wagon Project

Post by Bartman »

Sure is.
Economy auto repairs 3662231.
He's been working on SU equipped cars probably since before I was born. Lots of his customer base are "enthusiests" who own triumphs. And they were all SU or stomberg equipped.
I dunno how busy he is or what it'll cost, but getting him to sort mine out was the best money I ever spent.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
mindgem
Regular

Post by mindgem »

This morning i double checked my throttle stops etc and noticed one wasn't sitting in the right place and was holding it open after sorting that it starts and runs okay still need to sort the balance of the carbs etc. Ill defiantly be giving him a ring and take the car in for him to have a good look.

only thing now i gotta sort is my clutch as im pretty sure i ruined my pressure plate getting the motor back into the car. it will not go into any forward gears now and only crunches when i go for reverse lol.

at least these clutch parts are quite cheap :thumbsup:
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Is your clutch system bled?
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
mindgem
Regular

Post by mindgem »

yup i had to cause my mate jumped in and put his foot on the clutch when it wasnt connected to anything so it spewed out on the ground.

i bled the system after getting the motor in and its ultra light now. your foot goes straight to the floor with next to no resistance. Ill give it another bleed later in the day and see if it gets any better
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

If the pedal is depressed, does the piston and pushrod move? If not, then that'l be why it's so light/not working.
mindgem
Regular

Post by mindgem »

yeah i had another play with my clutch and got it working all good again. but the other morning the weirdest thing happened to me, my engine started running abit farty but i was sure that was cause i was running out of fuel so i managed to drive to the petrol station and it died just as i drove in (had to push it to the pump lol) but after i put gas in my engine it didnt start and still doesnt start.

Ive checked my timing looks all good still,
checked my ignition and spark, yup both fine.
cleaned both carbs and reset float levels and added new fuel hoses and still wont fire up for me.

I find it really odd cause it was running fine before i put any gas in, and no i didnt put diesel in :lol:
i had driven the car several times before this aswell.

Any ideas?? i would post pics but seem to have lost my camera cable since the latest earthquake
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

That happed to me once. Stopped to buy $2 gas (back in '96 lol) and the car never ran again. Had fuel and spark, it just wouldn't go. (Wound up doing a motor swap instead of trying to fix it)
DylPhil7
Financial Member
aka: DylPhil

Post by DylPhil7 »

same thing happened to me....It was my fault cos I skimmed the head but didnt change the tappets.....eff :lol:
mindgem
Regular

Post by mindgem »

damn, this motor is really starting to get to me.

i dont understand how a perfectly running motor can just stop working. and it was running great, no smoke whatsoever.

Since my last post ive taken both dash pots and suction pistons out and gave them a clean and a fresh lube but doesnt seem to solve be the problem
its actually doing my head in cause im not sure what else i can really do
mindgem
Regular

Post by mindgem »

God im slack at getting on the pc :? .

I found what was going on with my motor, the damn thing was fouling plugs like crazy and refused to start because of it.
Since then I have got it running okayish, starts and runs now which is the main thing and have done 1200km since doing, rings, bearings and the new head / carbs.

one of my SU suction pistons seems to stick a bit though causing it to over rev alot at idle unless i pump the gas so ill have to sort that out at some point.

Also I am sure my cam is out a tooth or so because it uses ALOT of gas now and has next to no accelleration over 4grand but am unsure which way it could be out, drives fine lower rpm and rockets up hills (holds 3rd up dyers pass with my 4speed). it even struggles to rev out to 5grand stationary.
but unfortunatly I will be losing my licence very soon due to demerits so I wont be able to make the August cruise :cry: :cry:

One last thing to add,
tonight while looking on trade me i found a l20b and 5 speed box in unknown cond for 38 dollars buy now!! very stoked :thumbsup:
When im at my house next ill upload some photos of the engine bay etc

Cheers :burnout: