James Z31 Engine Blueprinting

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Re: James 85 Z31 300zx

Post by 85_Z31 »

I'm Using R32 GTST 4 pots, and i will have to put approx 8mm spacers where the caliper bolts to.

The only reason i need the 8mm spacers is due to the fact that hubs were originally designed for the rotor to be mounted on the back, and with the factory rotor (20mm thick) it lines up perfectly against the R32 4 pots.

The thickness of he R32 rotor mounting hat is 8mm so that is how far out it will get spaced.
If i had used the impossible to get 1988 Z31 turbo front hubs it would have been a total direct bolt up with no spacing required.

Using this method (8mm spacer) the centre line of the rotor comes out bang on to the centre line of the R32 4 pot caliper.

This shows the difference compared to factory Z31
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Yeah thought that might be the case, I ended up using AU Ford Falcon rotors which were the same OD as GTS-t ones but 2mm thinner, the hat wasn't as tall so they lined up perfectly with the GTS-t calipers I'm using. I had two countersunk holes drill in the rotors and they are bolted to the hubs.

Nice car I have to say, if you need any bits a mate of mine is wrecking two "200ZX's". Once you get it all going you should come to the next Z Club event.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Post by gingofthesouth »

Looking forward to seeing this in the flesh!
My orangatang 510 here.
datman310

Post by datman310 »

i agree. going to be a sweet and very quick ride u know the rules once it going ......

:burnout:

:burnout: :highfive:
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

DJZ wrote:Yeah thought that might be the case, I ended up using AU Ford Falcon rotors which were the same OD as GTS-t ones but 2mm thinner, the hat wasn't as tall so they lined up perfectly with the GTS-t calipers I'm using. I had two countersunk holes drill in the rotors and they are bolted to the hubs.

Nice car I have to say, if you need any bits a mate of mine is wrecking two "200ZX's". Once you get it all going you should come to the next Z Club event.
Hell yeah definitely coming to the Akaroa Club meet/cruise, that's a good idea about the countersunk holes to align the brake rotor up.

OK so for an update its all back together Road tuning take 2 begins at 10am tomorrow morning.

Last night i checked over a bunch of stuff, I have also cut the hole in he bonnet for the hood scoop. Because i got a mint non turbo bonnet it didn't have the hole for it but as its a factory turbo car the scoop needs to be there for cool air to blow down onto the turbo.

if we can get it running well enough we will take it for a WOF!

Gingofthsouth your sig cracks me up, epic

pics >

You can see I started to fix the old bonnet, it was totally ruined and i didn't make a very good job at all it was really well beyond my skills as most of the frame was gone. The Grey one i picked up for $50 which was awesome as i had mega trouble finding one, had a quote of $1500 for a brand new one from nissan, or $750 from Z spares in Auckland
gingofthesouth
Site Admin

Post by gingofthesouth »

I am busting my arse off trying to get everything organised in time for Akaroa so I can join you all too. If not I might go hire a 350z for the day to come for the cruize lol

I was wondering if there were any geeks on this forum who would get that lol. Thought I might be the only rugby head / car enthusiast / computer geek.

What ECU you running again?
My orangatang 510 here.
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

I'm running the factory Z31 ECU

to allow full on Link G3 Style tuing I'm Using http://www.nistune.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to do this, it replaced a chip inside the factory ecu and allows direct usb to the ecu
gingofthesouth
Site Admin

Post by gingofthesouth »

85_Z31 wrote:I'm running the factory Z31 ECU

to allow full on Link G3 Style tuing I'm Using http://www.nistune.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to do this, it replaced a chip inside the factory ecu and allows direct usb to the ecu
Very nice. I remember these being popular back in the day! Worked well for the price too!
My orangatang 510 here.
datsunboy
Datsun God
aka: Dan

Post by datsunboy »

gingofthesouth wrote:

Very nice. I remember these being popular back in the day! Worked well for the price too!
I assume you mean the Link G3?
because Nistune is a very new piece of hardware/software.....only been around a couple of years....and its awesome.
I have one too
1969 SSS Nissan Bluebird coupe
1970 Datsun 1600 - CA18DET - Sold!
gingofthesouth
Site Admin

Post by gingofthesouth »

datsunboy wrote:
gingofthesouth wrote:

I assume you mean the Link G3?
because Nistune is a very new piece of hardware/software.....only been around a couple of years....and its awesome.
I have one too
Well NisTune has been around since at least 2006 because thats the first time I had heard of them (when I owned a Gti-R and 96 Nissan leopard)

I was meaning programmable ecu daughter boards in general. We used to run daughterboards from japan in my GTX back in the day and had a mate in American who could burn me eproms etc.

Always been good value for money compared to buying a link/microtech/wolftech/powerfc etc etc

You used to run a card with a rs232 serial interface and tune the car, then save that image which would be burned into the EPROM chip.

Havn't had much to do in the ECU market for some time mind you.
My orangatang 510 here.