Braasy's Datsun 1200 (B110) 4 Door Sedan

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
Kitch
Financial Member

Re: Braasy's Datsun 1200 (B110) 4 Door Sedan

Post by Kitch »

Braasy, I had to hammer the inner lip of my guards a little to clear the rims, mine had 40mm blocks.
when I had kids in back and fuelled up it still rubbed on bumps, so I went down to 15mm lowering strips and it was fine.
braasmonkey
Site Admin
aka: Braasy

Post by braasmonkey »

Kitch wrote:Braasy, I had to hammer the inner lip of my guards a little to clear the rims, mine had 40mm blocks.
when I had kids in back and fuelled up it still rubbed on bumps, so I went down to 15mm lowering strips and it was fine.
Heya Kitch, cheers for the suggestion. Dylan (dirtyleppa) was kind enough to pop round today (in the rain) and assist with the troubleshoot. I feel kinda sorry for wasting his time a little but was great to meet him. In the end, it appears the issue is the front brake callipers rubbing the inside of the rim (argh!). By chance, what brake system were you running on Wilbur? Because of the flair on the calliper cover and the inset rim design, it is making minor contact with the rim.

Looks like I will need some 5mm spacers all round but it appears the rest of the clearance is fine all around. Anyone got any 5mm spacers lying around or can point me in the right direction? Otherwise, as a temporary measure, a grinder to grind off the sharp edges on the calliper. Either way, looks like I will need to be repairing the rims before I got to use them lol
1972 DATSUN 1200 (B110) 4 DOOR SEDAN << Check Out My Build Thread
1972 DATSUN 240Z (S30) 2 DOOR COUPE << Check Out My Build Thread
Kitch
Financial Member

Post by Kitch »

Braasy, I has standard callipers up front with king springs.
but now I think about I had given one calliper a lick with the grinder to fit some earlier 14x6" minilites I previously had on Wilbur.
For some reason one side was fine, the other interfered by just a mm or 2.
I probably have some 5mm spacers here, I can throw your way if you get stuck, unsure how that effects WOF compliance though.
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Fit s13 brakes! :lol:
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
braasmonkey
Site Admin

Post by braasmonkey »

Kitch wrote:Braasy, I has standard callipers up front with king springs.
but now I think about I had given one calliper a lick with the grinder to fit some earlier 14x6" minilites I previously had on Wilbur.
For some reason one side was fine, the other interfered by just a mm or 2.
I probably have some 5mm spacers here, I can throw your way if you get stuck, unsure how that effects WOF compliance though.
Yeah right side seems more affected than the left. Might try with the spacers if you have any onhand or I can look to source, otherwise grinding may be the go for now. Bart, I want to get her back on the road with WOF and rego asap so S13 break upgrade may have to wait till I have her jacked up for the engine install. Will let you know :-)
DAT620
Datsun Driver
aka: J

Post by DAT620 »

Changing rims on your Datsun isnt just wax on, wax off. :lol:
Wheels off, wheels on ?

And you wont pass your WOF if an on to it inspector sees you have ground the calipers, as they cant tell how much you have taken off and whether they are still strong enough to perform.
No matter where you go, there you are.
z181200
Datsun Mad

Post by z181200 »

If you do a tidy job they will be sweet. Calipers are pretty thick usually, taking a couple of mm off isnt going to affect anything.
Kitch
Financial Member

Post by Kitch »

stock 110 front s are shit whether you grind them or not!
nothing a flap disc, grinder & can of VHT won't hide...
dattoboy
Datsun Nutter
aka: Bede

Post by dattoboy »

I've had ground back calipers for years with no issue, it doesn't effect the strength or warrents for that matter
braasmonkey
Site Admin

Post by braasmonkey »

To try and get her running and WOF/Reg'd for tomorrows mini cruise meet up in CHCH, I was cheeky and used some washers to gain the 1-2mm clearance needed which seems to have made the difference (hardly noticeable for now, maybe need a quick spray in black to really blend in). Took her for a test drive to check the air and fill up the gas tank and of course I knew it would happen (but hoped it wouldn't), tyre rub (although not on the guards surprisingly, that I could make out at least). Either way, as per your mention Kitch I will probably have to try out some suspension blocks to raise the vehicle a little and go from there (front and back). It's a learning curve...welcome to the rest of my life my little 1200 :)
Last edited by braasmonkey on Sun May 15, 2011 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.