DJZ's 280ZX

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Re: DJZ's 280ZX

Post by Datto_610 »

Ah right I see guess it's gonna be cheaper to get the right hose then...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Used the mill tonight to mark out the RB bell housing pattern on the dyno engine plate, one hole was where the starter cut out for the Opel motor was so I'll have to run the plate backwards which should be okay except the braces might interfere with the sump.

The insert I ordered for doing the pulleys was the wrong one so I had to order another, gave it a quick go tonight and it's much better, just need to play around with the depths a bit, not that it would really matter for the valve refacer.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Oh I got the new bonnet catches too, they're much smaller, just need to have a bit more of a play with them to make sure they're up to the task.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Here's the new bonnet catches compared to the old ones, something in between would be perfect but I don't think they make them.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

Fascinating stuff there, is that multi-rib belt pulley you're cutting there? If so would you have the details of it handy - I've been thinking about having a go at making some one day.
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

broke wrote:Fascinating stuff there, is that multi-rib belt pulley you're cutting there? If so would you have the details of it handy - I've been thinking about having a go at making some one day.
Yup it is, it's made using the insert in the background which is just a single vee insert so you can make them for as many ribs as you like. If you want to borrow it sometime and you've got a lathe that can take 25mm tool holders let me know.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Got my junk block mounted into the dyno engine stand today, I haven't got any engine mounts at work so I'll bring some down on Sunday and get it properly mounted. The RBs sit on quite an angle, the bottom two holes in the black plate are parallel with the ground.

Cranked this thing up at work today for the first time since I've been there, it's pretty sick, V10 power.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Didn't manage to get to work on Sunday but I took a bunch of bits down on Monday. Used my new Mitutoyo protractor thing to figure out what I need to do the dyno engine mounts, one side is at about 44 degrees from the flange on the RB mount to the dyno mount stud and the other is at about 46 so I'll just make two adaptors at 45 degrees and it should be sweet.

Put the coil adaptor plate in the mill and drilled the last hole out so I just need to put rivnuts in it and it's pretty much finished.

May have found a flange at work for the rear turbo oil return fitting, I didn't get a chance to measure it today but if the bolt hole spacing is close to 44mm then I think I can make it work, and it's already got a -10 male thread on it. It's come off one of the gearbox oil/water coolers so is made to use an o ring seal which I think would still work, if not I can just make a gasket for it.

Also took some of the turbo oil and water fittings to work so I can sort them out, the oil fitting that screws into the block had too big a washer on it so I need to sort a new one of those and the water fitting was pretty ugly too so I'll see if I can find a new one. I will redo the turbo hoses in black Speedflow stuff at some stage as that's what we use at work, but that won't be for a while.

Need to replace the o rings on the remote oil filter piece that screws to the block, one of them is a bit torn. I also need to swap from the other block or buy a new oil filter stud.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Made up some quick adaptor mounts for the dyno rig after work tonight, Zac thinks I'll need to gusset them so I'll do that next week.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Drilled out the flange that I found to take 8mm bolts and fitted it to the block, looks like it's going to work pretty well. Need to get some -10 fittings to make up a hose.

The list of stuff to do is getting pretty short now, mostly stuff I can't do without having the engine in the car. I need to roll it outside sometime so I can align the bonnet properly to sort out the latches. I saw in the Race Parts (http://www.race.parts) catalogue that we've got at work that they have an in between size of the round bonnet latches so I need to trawl Aliexpress and see if I can find some from there, I'll get a price from Race Parts too but they'll probably be heaps.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread