DJZ's 280ZX

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Re: DJZ's 280ZX

Post by 85_Z31 »

DJZ wrote:
Bartman wrote:There are two fixes Dan.
What I'd do, (Okay, I'm a rough cunt) is center punch around the periphery of the hub where the bearing runs. This will leave raised dimples that will make the bearing tight. Then assemble them with a shitload of loc-tite bearing retaining compound. This will fill up the spaces between the dimples and the inside of the bearing inner, and the hub. Plus it wont flatten out like the dimples eventually will.
It maya be possible to build up the hub with weld, and machine it back down to the correct diamention. Although the heat won't enhance the torque resistance of the hub. Maybe turn it down a bit and shrink like a speedy sleeve over it? (Once again won't enhance the strength of the hub)
Metal spraying is I think the only viable long term repair for the hub itself, I talked to a couple of people today and it doesn't look possible to sleeve it as the diameter of the bearing surface is too close to the diameter of the spline so the sleeve would be too thin. I'll try and ring some people about spraying tomorrow but replacement is going to be the cheapest/easiest way of fixing it.

85_Z31 wrote:Your 5 stud Hubs got resent from USA today, I have the tracking number for it too.
How much can you get a pair of rears for?
Possibly about $200 once they get here. Shipping could be a bit more due to the stub and the extra weightt. Those TM ones are looking reasonably competitive on the price point.
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

Can you machine it and fit a smaller/different bearing?
Datsuns from A to Zed
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

classicdat wrote:Can you machine it and fit a smaller/different bearing?
I'd run into the same problem as trying to sleeve it which is the diameter of the spline, it's too close to the size of where the bearing sits. I'm just going to replace the worn one and look at fixing the other one for the DR at a later stage.

The other option is these:

41 spline chromoly replacements $999USD :shock:
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
ProZac

Post by ProZac »

Ive got loctite primer and retaining compound if you wanted to give it a go. Is there any actual feelable movement in the bearing side to side, or does it just fall in and rotate freely in the hub? The retaining compound worked a treat on a mini hub with a similar problem.
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

If at first it doesn't fit, fill it up with glue and shit!
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

You can definitely feel it, the wear is actually on the axle itself where the inside of the bearing sits rather than in the control arm.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

Bartman wrote:If at first it doesn't fit, fill it up with glue and shit!
:lol: spat my coffee reading that
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

So I've managed to get another pair of Z31 rear hubs, just need to get them down from Auckland and get a new set of wheel bearings for that side and chuck it back together.

Rung up Euroblast to find out about metal spraying, guy I talked to wasn't interested at all and did nothing to talk up the process and wouldn't even really give me an estimate just told me it was "expensive" and "not worth it".

I've got the 8Kg springs for the rear, I've installed one, the spring perch is now only about 20 - 30mm from the top of the shock body, I don't really think it'll cause any problems. I don't really know much about it but will a short 8Kg spring bind faster than a longer 8Kg spring? I guess once it's back in the car and on the ground I can see how much the spring is compressed.

Still thinking about whether to install the new Nolathane rear control arm bushes I got ages ago, I probably should as one control arm is almost out and it's not really that big a job to remove the other.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
darrenwilson
Datsun Driver

Post by darrenwilson »

Good Going. :thumbsup:
Long Live Datsun 1200

Check out my thered>> http://www.nzdatsun.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2127" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Got this thing back together today.

Bought 2 new rear hubs off a guy in the Z Club, measured up the where the inner bearing runs and it was pretty much spot on 30mm where the old one was 29.85ish, swapped the long studs out of the old hub into the new one, went to press on the new outer wheel bearing, tight, tight, loose. Busted out a few swear words and then the Loctite bearing retainer. I can't be bothered trying to get it sleeved or find another one at the moment so this will have to do. I got the only bearing kit that Saeco had left in stock, doesn't really matter as the bearings are still available on their own and the seal was the wrong size anyway.

Put the whole lot back together with the new 8Kg springs in the back, it looks like it's sitting slightly higher but that's to be expected as I didn't adjust the height at all. The funny noise that appeared after I took the companion flange off last time has gone away, I'm wonder if it was the dust shield on the companion flange toucing on something because the wheel bearing was loose? Not sure. The weather wasn't really great for winding it out in 1st gear but I think the companion flanges aren't hitting on the body any more, I'll have to check on the ride height and possibly lower it and bit, then check again.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread