DJZ's 280ZX

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
unlimitedpower
Datsun Mad

Re: DJZ's 280ZX

Post by unlimitedpower »

I havn't read over the rest of it and its early. But i have seen this sort of thing before on a built SR20 engine. Where they spent alot of time getting clearances nice and close etc. It then pushed oil pressure really really high right from day one. In the end the oil pump hydrolocked itself and did the above. Not quite as bad though.
Engine was shut down straight away and no damage was done, after that they made modifications to the pressure relief valve and never had a problem ever again, through years more of competitive top level drifting.
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

RB's lunch the oil pump gears due to crankshaft Harmonics. When pulling big number, (Especially when "limiter bashing") the crankshafts get a flex on. Since the oil pump drive collars aren't a really snug fit, they loose contact/the collar tries to flex the pump gears. Since the gears are sintered (I think) they have no give and break as above. This is much less of an issue on the rb20's, as the run a shorter stroke. and there's less reciprocating mass trying to make the crank flex.

Here is the mother of all discussions about RB oil pumps.
When I read it, it was only around 300 posts.
http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums ... nitto%20n1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Yeap, it's an interesting subject, lots of people swear black and blue there is nothing wrong with the N1 pumps and then other people are completely against them. Looking at the cracking around where the oil seal sits at ~12:30 & 3:15 (if the picture is up the right way, stupid Photobucket) the centre gear must have pushed up against the housing pretty hard.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Spool imports used to sell Nitto oil pumps. But I see they're no longer listed on their website. They do an N1 pump with 4140 steel gears though. (For just over half what a Nitto sell for)
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
torqued
Datsun God
aka: Adam

Post by torqued »

Stop pissing about and go dry sump.
I cannot see any other alternative
"It's ok, we know what to do...we talked about this a lot on the internet."
chris_g1
Committee Members

Post by chris_g1 »

Totally Adam the only way is dry sump
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

I can't even afford to fix it now so a dry sump is never going to happen!
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
disruptiv

Post by disruptiv »

my mate as a dry sump on his super stock, he did all himself cost just over $1100
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

I don't think $1100 would even cover the braided hose and fittings required let alone a pump, mount, pulley, oil tank etc. The Hi Octane dry sump kit for a GTR is abour $8000AUD.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
b110sss
Datsun Dreamer

Post by b110sss »

Dry sumping sounds a bit radical for a street setup.
As a matter of interest what did they use in the group A Godzilla's? I heard that they made a cradle for the block to help stop it flexing but I think that was about it.
Whatever they did they certainly had them reliable and maybe this would be a good reference point to start with?
Cheers
Dave