DJZ's 280ZX

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
DJZ
Datsun God

Re: DJZ's 280ZX

Post by DJZ »

Changed the rooted guide out tonight, reamed it and it seems slightly tighter than the others, I'll play with it a bit more and see how it goes.

I lapped in two inlet valves to see how they looked and they look pretty good, I'll do the rest of them over the next couple of nights and all going well I won't have to get the seats cut.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

pictures or it didnt happen lol
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Gave the rest of the exhaust valves a quick lap tonight to have a look, number 12 looks slightly suspect but I think it'll be alright with a bit more lapping. I'll try and do the rest of the inlet guides tomorrow and if they are all good I can chuck it back together.

The boss is away again racing in China I think next week but I'm not sure how long for, that's still probably a bit too soon, I'll need at least a whole weekend free.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Lapped the inlet valves this weekend and then checked the whole lot with some bearing blue, I'm not happy with three of the inlets (1, 11 & 12), 11 and 12 make contact on the seat about 3/4 of the way around but 1 only makes contact about 1/4 of the way, the exhausts are all good. I'll try and get the head to Flemings this week to get his opinion on what to do next which will probably be recutting those or maybe all the inlet seats.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Head is at Flemings now, should hear back in a week or two with news.

I bought a valve refacer that is in need of some small repairs which should be quite handy if I can get it going again for when the valve seats get recut, hopefully I can tip the valves to make up the difference so I don't have to buy new shims.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

It's always frustrating having to wait for other people/companies eh.

You should have enough gear to start your own engine rebuilding facility soon!
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

broke wrote:It's always frustrating having to wait for other people/companies eh.

Yeah, it's been 20 months so far so another couple of weeks isn't going to kill it. Between me and James we'll be able to make/do just about anything haha. Might have to start Goon Precision Engineering and Machining Ltd.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

DJZ wrote:
broke wrote:It's always frustrating having to wait for other people/companies eh.

Yeah, it's been 20 months so far so another couple of weeks isn't going to kill it. Between me and James we'll be able to make/do just about anything haha. Might have to start Goon Precision Engineering and Machining Ltd.
Lol, I'll have to get out there one weekend and discuss if GPEM can help out with my latest venture
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Had a bit more of a look at the valve refacer, apparently there is something wrong with the electric motor for the chuck that holds the valves for when you are doing the seating surface, I took it out of it's housing yesterday and the commutator looks quite worn - I don't actually need that motor going to tip the valves anyway so I'll worry about that another day. I need to get a new belt to drive the grinding wheel and also give the whole thing a good clean as it's really greasy. Also need to make something to lock the valves down in the vee groove but that should be pretty easy.

I started cutting the vent holes out of the bonnet as well, they were just glassed over when the bonnet was made. Cutting fibreglass is pretty messy but the Dremel I borrowed off Zac worked pretty well on it. Still have to do the drivers side one and drill out the holes for the studs. Also need to figure out how to hold the bonnet down too, I've been looking at flush mounted Aerocatch latches but the push button ball locking ones look quite interesting as well. It's a little bit annoying as with the standard catch you can open the bonnet from either side of the car but with one catch on either side I'll have to walk around the car to open it, just a minor annoyance. I thought about just putting one Aerocatch in the middle but it might look a bit stupid.

Can't really do too much more to the car until I've got the head back, just pottering along with small jobs.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

Looks like Photobucket are holding all your photos to ransom unless you pay their fees.

Seems to have affected a few users on other forums too.