gingofthesouth's Orangatang 510

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
2 doors
Datsun God

Re: gingofthesouth's Orangatang 510

Post by 2 doors »

Good work , I know from experience that these are exciting times, get it going and tidy things from there. At least you get to drive it , which is the best but.
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

Awesome to see motivation in action. Running ng for labourwekend :burnout:
Datsuns from A to Zed
gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Post by gingofthesouth »

classicdat wrote:Awesome to see motivation in action. Running ng for labourwekend :burnout:
Calm down! Lucky to be going by New Year! :lol:

Lots of fabrication work to be done that I don't have the skill for and then there is parts ordering to wait on.

Today I went and bought some foam to make the foam padding to fit up the heater and vents etc.
Started fitting it in the car and realized I don't know how all the cabling and wires fit up. Need to research a little more.
IMG_4284.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My orangatang 510 here.
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

Maybe you could write up a guide on heater box restoration Ginge?

For those of us yet to do it..... great to see progress on this car. And please get rid of the checkerplate ASAP.
torqued
Datsun God
aka: Adam

Post by torqued »

What's the level for?
"It's ok, we know what to do...we talked about this a lot on the internet."
luke
Datsun Addict

Post by luke »

broke wrote:Maybe you could write up a guide on heater box restoration Ginge?

For those of us yet to do it..... great to see progress on this car. And please get rid of the checkerplate ASAP.
iv done mine, its not hard just tedious. i replaced all foam with new, even the piece of vinyl that covers the air intake. i may have pictures on my thread, or my computer.

Anyway hows progress ginge??????
1972 1200 coupe KB110
gingofthesouth
Site Admin

Post by gingofthesouth »

broke wrote:Maybe you could write up a guide on heater box restoration Ginge?

Yeah, don't worry, I plan to! It hurt me putting it back in the car :lol:

Seriously though, my plan is to get the car running and certified and then quickly iterating over the car and fix shit like the checkerplate.

As for restoring the heater box etc. I just took it apart, cleaned it all and replaced the foam using F2 and 10mm foam I got from a classic car restoration place (I am sure it is the same shit you can get from Para Rubber).

The trick is to not buy the strip stuff but panels, glue it on and then carve around it. Then you get the bends right. I tidied up my work after that photo so it doesn't look as rough.
My orangatang 510 here.
gingofthesouth
Site Admin

Post by gingofthesouth »

So I opened ever box of Datsun shit and destroyed the garage even more looking for all the little things. Such a mess. Going to put it all back in containers of related mess over the weekend (looms in a box, lights in another etc.)
IMG_4401.JPG
Anyway, besides the catastrophe that is my garage I have managed to complete some work.

The r31 brakes were fitted and then removed. I cleaned up the rotors and put aside. The whole rear sub frame has been dismantled and new wheel bearings, dust seals and longer wheel studs were ordered.
That black under seal shit is all over it so that is being cleaned off too and tidied up.
IMG_4372.JPG
IMG_4384.JPG
I also ordered the Datsport handbrake cable set, r31 caliper mounts and braided hose line kit before I could realize I don't need any of them. To make matters worse they were help up at customs for over a week and $145 customs payment later. They should arrive by Monday or Tuesday. The sub frame is at an engineers getting the exhaust hole widened to fit a 3 inch exhaust.

Speaking of which, I have purchased a top mount manifold for the FJ20ET and ordered a replica GT3482r that should be fine for my low HP needs. Once they arrive it will be booked in for its new exhaust system.
IMG_4415.JPG
IMG_4416.JPG
I've been busy collating my hanbrake cable bits. Hopefully by the time the rear subframe is back and the Datsport parts arrive I will have functioning and finished brakes.

Also, because I hated them and so did broke, the kick panels have been covered in orange! :badgrin: :badgrin:
IMG_4412.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My orangatang 510 here.
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Why didn't you need the handbrake cable kit?
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
gingofthesouth
Site Admin

Post by gingofthesouth »

Bartman wrote:Why didn't you need the handbrake cable kit?
Because I bought another set of R31 brakes from Rob in Taupo and they already had cables...
But Ill run the new ones anyway.
My orangatang 510 here.