82' 910 Bluebird

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
Bartman
Committee Members

Re: 82' 910 Bluebird

Post by Bartman »

Not my cup of tea either.
And tyres for them will put your wallet on the block, and rape it to death!
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
skutaman
Financial Member
aka: Bert Newcombe

Post by skutaman »

Bartman wrote:Not my cup of tea either.
And tyres for them will put your wallet on the block, and rape it to death!
Lol Yeah I have made an executive decision (After much input from all angles along the lines of what you just said Bart)
And I'm gonna pass on them :thumbsup:

On another note; my good friend Andrew gave me a hand fitting a new alternator after work.
I found one listed for a 620 (I think it was) running a L18 and the picture looked like my original, and we had it in stock,
So I grabbed it, after much pondering, and wondering why it was putting out 15- 17v at idle!!! and no paperwork stating its specs,
we figured out it was an internal reg number but just looked identical on the outside... :deadhorse:

He then did the old tube down the carb trick and balanced the lil beasts into harmony, then did the timing.
Now she purrs at 800rpm idle. Man I love the sound of the cam! :burnout:
Not surprisingly she goes alot better now... just need the exhaust done, better coil thinking GT40 or GT40R (if i can sus the wiring for internal ballast coil > external ballast) and electronic ignition and that's her heart sorted!

She still needs more LOW tho... :dance2:
"Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Standard!"

-81' Sportstar Ute http://www.nzdatsun.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4329 (Project)
-82' 910 Bluebird 'Annie' http://www.nzdatsun.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2259 (Decesed )
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

If it's running that much voltage, it's not internally regd.
Odds are you have the wrong regulator for it. If the voltage gets that high, you're running the risk of exploding your battery. I've not seen it myslef, but I've heard about it. You don't want your engine bay sprayed with battery acid. I don't think you'd wanna see more than 13.8 volts. (But I'm no auto sparky though)
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

If you buy the Pertronix Ignitor EI conversion kit you won't need to do any changing of the coil, as they use the standard coil and ballast resistor. When I used to work at Repco we could procure them from Swift Automotive in Christchurch, but there might be another supplier now.

Just check the brand of dizzy as I think most of those kits are for a Hitachi dizzy and most 910's seem to be a Bosch type. Although it may be the same kit for a Hitachi and a Bosch.

Good move avoiding those 18's as well!
skutaman
Financial Member

Post by skutaman »

broke wrote:If you buy the Pertronix Ignitor EI conversion kit you won't need to do any changing of the coil, as they use the standard coil and ballast resistor. When I used to work at Repco we could procure them from Swift Automotive in Christchurch, but there might be another supplier now.

Just check the brand of dizzy as I think most of those kits are for a Hitachi dizzy and most 910's seem to be a Bosch type. Although it may be the same kit for a Hitachi and a Bosch.

Good move avoiding those 18's as well!
I looked into getting a kit from swifts, they only listed a generic kit that they knew fitted mini's etc, but didn't know if they fitted datsuns. They didn't have any in the country, and was gonna cost ME $500 odd :deadhorse:
I'm running a dizzy of a 180b, so I'm pretty sure its a Hitachi...
I'm looking atone of the conversion/new electronic dizzy kits on eBay, has anyone used them before? Should I got for the conversion? Or a full dizzy?

-81' Sportstar Ute http://www.nzdatsun.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4329 (Project)
-82' 910 Bluebird 'Annie' http://www.nzdatsun.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2259 (Decesed )
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

Don't even bother buying one off eBay or whatever if you're trying to save money. Probably the best solution if you've got the time is to go find a 6 cylinder L series motor out of a 280Z or something along those lines which has a electronic distributor, preferably a Mitsubishi T4T type "matchbox" one - I think if you use the Hitachi D4K/D6K then you need the 4 cylinder trigger wheel too, which is hard to find. Then when you're bored at work, you could match a 4 cylinder cap up off the shelf or go look through the Bosch ignition parts book that every repco employee in my area doesn't seem to have a clue about and look for a 4 cylinder cap to suit the same distributor and use that to make yourself a sweet low-buck electronic distributor with a timing curve that's already meant for EI.

Then use your staff discount to buy the cap and an electronic coil.

Then tell me what the part number for the cap you used is and I'll go get one too. (Or you can sell me one at a discount for helping you out, eh).
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Err, that's not going to work, the reluctor will have 6 points on it too.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

DJZ wrote:Err, that's not going to work, the reluctor will have 6 points on it too.
For real? Ok, in that case don't do what I said. Unless you find a 4 cylinder reluctor, which you might be able to get out of something else. My apologies.
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

Did Z series run electronic? I know many ran points, but maybe they had a 4 cyl. reluctor.
Datsuns from A to Zed
skutaman
Financial Member

Post by skutaman »

My mate made is own adapter off the old dizzy for a cam angle sensor for his EFI setup, but that's a lil different..
I just know the best thing for the old beast atm is an electronic ignition to stop the 5k points burn lol.

I'm not too worried if it costs me a couple of hundy (Within reason) if it's going to save me in the long run :thumbsup:
Has anyone in the club done this mod before? Really keen to do it ae..