loose flywheel

all your DIY needs
datman310

loose flywheel

Post by datman310 »

went into town saturday night in my 310 with a A15, doing a few skids pulling bout 8000rpm and i hear this horrible rattle, i tought oh shit iv run a big end but eventuated to be the flywheel had comw loose, anyone else heard of this happening before?? it all fixd and it sweet now just thought id share
Bartman
Committee Members

Re: loose flywheel

Post by Bartman »

Yes it does happen. The PCD of the fixing bolts is a bit on the small side, so they do shake loose if the motor isn't balanced. My engine is balanced, and the flywheel had been doweled to the crank.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

ahh the memories are flooding back, same thing happend to me, only we pulled the motor out left the flywheel on the crank, totlly stripped the sump, crank and rods, couldnt find any damage, and it was only when shifting the crank off the bench did we hear CLANK, and found the flywheel loose!took us a whole day and ended up just putting everything back together, and buying new flywheel bolts and locktightening them in.
Hey-mish
Financial Member
aka: Hamish

Post by Hey-mish »

Yea same happened 2 me... a15 in my 120y.... heard a loud clanking noise and thort bigend bearings. but after taking the gearbox off saw that the flywheel nuts were finger loose... check and saw no damage so i locktight and torque wrenched them back in place... slapped a 5spd in aswell and goes all sweet.
1976 120Y 1.5L
1973 140J 2.0L
datman310

Post by datman310 »

haha yea we just puuled my starter off and could tell was loose ae, haha good old datto's never say die