My '72 1600 SSS

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
DJZ
Datsun God

Re: My '72 1600 SSS

Post by DJZ »

I've just seen your diff build in progress, James is doing some excellent work there. I've also got an untested tool for removing the control arm bushes that should make it really easy but it's a bit late for that now.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

Yeah that would have been handy. I'd be keen to try it though because if what I want to do works then Adam's arms will be next.
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

Well it's been a long time between updates, but Luke's got a WOF, ginge almost has a running FJ and Adam's even got his engine fitted so I realised I needed to do some more!

Just been so short of time lately, but I finally got around to wire brushing and wiping the dregs of the old underseal off. I found quite a few pinholes that expanded to larger holes when investigated.

This resulted in significant amounts of floor being removed and patched with the MIG. I also welded up a few small holes where the factory carpet was held down with self-tapping screws. Apparently this was just how they did it back then. No pics of this because I forgot.

Painted some more Hammerite on before dinner, only got this far before I had to leave it for the night. I'll try to finish the rest before the end of the week, I'm pretty keen to get Hamish out to fit the doors and spray the underseal. I kind of want my surge tank and fuel lines to fit up next, but I'm out of $$$ so might have to hope we get a bonus payment next month. I can't find any undercar surge tanks ready made so I'll probably have to make something, which means improving my alloy TIG skills.
IMG_1998.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
torqued
Datsun God
aka: Adam

Post by torqued »

Would you look at that then. Well done.
"It's ok, we know what to do...we talked about this a lot on the internet."
luke
Datsun Addict

Post by luke »

yes!!!! that hammerite is brilliant stuff!
1972 1200 coupe KB110
gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Post by gingofthesouth »

Mean. Get at it! I should have used hammertoe instead of that black tacky tar shit all over the bottom of my car.
My orangatang 510 here.
gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Post by gingofthesouth »

Mean. Get at it! I should have used hammertoe instead of that black tacky tar shit all over the bottom of my car.
My orangatang 510 here.
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

Finished painting the underside a few weeks ago, just waiting on Hamish to come around and sort out one more area of rust that's a bit outside of my fabrication ability. I ended up having to weld up quite a few rust holes and holes from where self-tapping screws had been through the floor along the way.

While I wait I thought I'd attack one of my crossmembers in preparation for fitting the Datsport kit I've had sitting around for ages. Removing the ears isn't quite as awful as I expected it to be so far. By carefully slicing with a cutoff wheel on a grinder, slotting the vertical welds with a Dremel and some careful application of BFH I was able to get the first one off pretty quickly, and so far without using a grinding disc at all. I should only need it to clean up a few minor daggy bits if all goes to plan.

Pic of what I'm talking about.
IMG_2103.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

From what i remember of setting Gregs cross-member up it was a bit of a pain in the arse.

Ive got a few idea's on improving my previous experience with setting it up and getting it tacked in place ect.
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

I think welding the new stuff on will be fun and easy compared to removing the ears and the rubber bushes. I must borrow an empty R200 casing from you some time too, just so that I can see where I need to "clearance" the crossmember to fit it before paint.