Re: My '72 1600 SSS

Post by DylPhil7 »

nope, its complimentary
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

Thanks for the offer Dylan, but I'm swapping to 3 piece herp.... er... Phantoms soon. Just need a pair of front ones in 14x7. And the centre caps....

Maybe you can buy my uncracked pair, get rid of the spitties and have a full set? (Much easier than trying to get rid of herpes, but personally I'd sooner admit to having herpes than spitties) :poke:

The spare wheel well rust turned out to be rather ugly. Hamish did a pretty sweet job of fixing it, here's the only pic I have atm:
IMG_0350.JPG
Otherwise I've just been acquiring parts in anticipation of putting it all back together.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

Had a sweet day scraping old underseal today. Man it was just sooooo much fun! /sarcasm. Got both front wheel wells scraped out ready for re-sealing.

Started with this
IMG_0359.JPG
Scraped it back until it was all like this
IMG_0361.JPG
Hamish also had the boot fully welded
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

While I was scraping he also stitch-welded the rear shock towers, since I'll be wanting coilovers eventually.
IMG_0364.JPG
Then applied seam sealer in the boot area
IMG_0365.JPG
Before masking off and spraying paintable stone guard/underseal - there wasn't quite enough to do the whole boot area so I'll have to go get some more. This will be painted over, as I hate how normal underseal goes all "fuzzy" with all the crap that sticks to it in the boot area usually.
IMG_0366.JPG
IMG_0367.JPG
I removed the boot hinges so they could be sprayed white at a later date. The valance had to come off today too in order to fix the lower radiator support and paint the slam panel black. It was quite boggy in the rad support.
IMG_0356.JPG
This will be getting bolted back on later, rather than welded.

Also, these arrived from Japan the other day
IMG_0370.JPG
That's it for now.
gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Post by gingofthesouth »

Looks like quite a lot of progress there! New side indicators will look sharp (I have fitted a new set too).
My orangatang 510 here.
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

Yeah, my old ones have ok lenses, but the rubber seal on the back side is gone, and that has caused the backing to rot away. And I just couldn't bear the idea of fitting the old crappy ones.
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

looks great, Hamish does very nice work
gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Post by gingofthesouth »

broke wrote:Yeah, my old ones have ok lenses, but the rubber seal on the back side is gone, and that has caused the backing to rot away. And I just couldn't bear the idea of fitting the old crappy ones.
Which is the very reason why my progress is so slow now. I can't bring myself to putting the old looms in the my car. Like the rear lights loom. I am very split between just plugging it all in, getting the car running, then re-visiting everything that looks like shit and doing it one at a time. Alternatively, do it once, do it right. Bah. There was no way though the crappy rubber backing my side indicators was going in the car though!
My orangatang 510 here.
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

Not a whole lot to update - I've got a second rear crossmember and arms to modify. Will be dropping a heap of stuff to Greg for plating. I've been scraping underseal for DAYS - the worst area is around the spare wheel well and boot floor, there are so many curved surfaces and difficult to access spots. After scraping I've been applying Hammerite black paint and then will be re-undersealing it. My arms feel like they're about to drop off.
IMG_0583.JPG
IMG_0584.JPG
Oh yeah, I also dropped my drag link and idler at HBI to get rebuilt. Hopefully it doesn't cost a zillion dollars - the idler arm ball joint was was almost ready to fall out of the arm.
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

IMG_0488.JPG
I need some more money, then I can start working on the diff and suspension. I should probably rebuild and paint my steering box too.