Re: Datto_610's 180B - Wheels spinning!

Post by beaver »

the lips arent very big.....

tlssunny
Financial Member
aka: jesse

Post by tlssunny »

yes but to fit it through the hole in the cross member it would need to be reduced down to 1.75-2.00 inch
RDAP- Rakaia Datsun b310 Auto Parts
TLS- The Late Shift Restoration Services
beaver
Datsun Nutter

Post by beaver »

What. No.

Greg said its a 3" hole. If the exhaust itself is 2.5 " then I dont see why it would need to reduce down to 2" to fit through.....
tlssunny
Financial Member
aka: jesse

Post by tlssunny »

look at how far that bolt sticks out of that v band!!!!!!!!!
RDAP- Rakaia Datsun b310 Auto Parts
TLS- The Late Shift Restoration Services
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

You could use one of these. You just cut the pipe and slide each end into it. BMW's use them instead of flanges when replacing exhaust sections.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
beaver
Datsun Nutter

Post by beaver »

tlssunny wrote:look at how far that bolt sticks out of that v band!!!!!!!!!
Umm, you take it off first mate....

So you want to pull the exhuats off, or take the cross member out right? So you undo the flange at one end of that pipe pictured in gregs pics, then you undo the v-band clamp from the other and (so the big bolt isnt there!) and then voila! pipe comes out.
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

Wow wow chill errbody! I am quite sure the lip is only just too big that was the last time I was looking at them. Also Jesse that clamp comes away completely so disregard that all together (it's what I've got on my dump pipe) that thing you posted looks interesting John pretty sure I've seen them in the chase exhausts catalouge I belive it's a butt clamp lolz
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

if you go onto trademe the bloke who sells 2.5 V bands has a drawing showing a 2.5" V band ring has an outer diameter of 82mm which is a fair bit bigger than 3" or 76.2mm

Regardless of that its a non issue. leave a stub of pipe in the cross member with a flange or V band either side connect up to it and your good to go.

Greg with your flanges you can even weld them from the outside in i will do a wee sketch so you know what i mean. It works pretty good and uses the parts you have already brought.
IMG_2459(1).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

That is exactly what I planned James! My photo with the long pipe was just for reference. It was $10 for like a metre off cut at Chase so I grabbed it. How difficult would it be for whoever I get to weld the second flange on being rather close to the crossmember?
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

it should be pretty easy, the flanges dont have to be at the same angle either, one could be pointing up and down to make it easier on the more difficult side.

This is why i suggested slipping the pipe halfway into the flange and welding it from the outside, that way your not trying to wrestle the mig gun or tig torch around the crossmember.

it still needs a couple of stitch welds for reinforcement on the inside but thats much easier than trying to go all the way around
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30