Re: Datto_610's 180B - Street Legal!

Post by classicdat »

Great. Bring wire connectors and at least 2 solenoids
Datsuns from A to Zed
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

I thought it be a good idea to fit the boot lock so I put some rust kill around the hole for the lock as it had been left open to the elements for quite some time (lock was ripped off before I got it)

I had removed the lock off my spare boot lid many years ago and pretty sure I biffed the lock seal or what was left of it as it was pretty stuffed from memory. This has been the reason I haven't done it sooner, not being able to find a new seal has put me off fitting it. I thought that I may as well attempt something so found some vac line in the garage and cut down the middle so it could be used as a seal but it was too thick so the lock couldn't fit in. I sat the lock back in the hole and the biggest gap was on the bottom so run a bit of split vac line on the bottom and will just use sealant around the lock to fill the rest of the gaps. Not ideal but surely better than nothing while I find a better way? Definitely want to keep it more secure

I couldn't finish fitting the lock as I'm missing the little arm that moves against the latch to unlock the boot.... can't do much without it I was sure I had it but my garage is such a mess I've got idea where it could be! If this looks like something you've seen before or have another old lock please let me know!
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

How would the rubber from a tyre tube go to cut out into a flat gasket?
Datsuns from A to Zed
Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

Hmmm could work?
Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

Went in for a wheel alignment yesterday as I removed the rubber spring spacers on the rear springs. I'm pretty sure they had moved a bit putting the alignment out so got rid of them all together. Apparently I need more castor the guys at Chamberlains reckon as it still pulls to the left. Currently have 1.3 degrees on the left hand side and needs to be somewhere around 3 degrees... mentioned putting more thread on the castor rods to get more adjustment but unsure as to how good that would be? Any thoughts? I do have some R30 castor rods in the garage but haven't compared those to the 180 ones yet. I could go adjustable ones but a fair amount of work I think??

Also the CA doesn't sound very happy at the moment after the intercooler pipe came off the turbo and fouled the plugs it hasn't run the same... after replacing the plugs with a colder set it's still not running right. Mate at Chamberlains reckons it's ignition timing, I've never had it timed properly just guessed where the CAS needs to be. So looking online I should be running at 10 degrees BTDC. From what I've seen and read online also to use a timing light I need to use a normal ignition lead in between number 1 spark plug and the coil pack to get a reading off the timing light as the loop on the the coil pack loom isn't very effective? Anyone got a timing light in chch I can borrow?
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Yeah not many options for castor adjustment, if you go to adjustable arms you'll need to get them certified as well. I've seen people put more threads on them before. I don't know much about alignment but I wouldn't think the castor would affect it pulling to one side much? Brock would know more.

Timing shouldn't have changed if the car was running right before the intercooler pipe came off but it's a good idea to check it, bit of a pain like the RBs are unless you've got a light that works off the loop on the back of the coil loom which most don't.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

We used to put more thread on to increase the castor. Not too serious.
I have a timing light, not sure if it eilltwork for you. But I have a little spark plug and cable that it can pick up a signal from it you coil can sit on top, end Is just like a spark plug.
Datsuns from A to Zed
Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

Cool well I'd be keen to modify the castor rods pretty soon as apparently it will make my drive up north a lot more enjoyable.. also keen to borrow your timing light Vaughan!
b110sss
Datsun Dreamer

Post by b110sss »

Greg,
I would be very hesitant about doing that. I can tell you on 1200's extending the thread is a recipe for them to snap and believe me that's not want you want happening at any sort of speed.
Quite frankly if its pulling to one side I would be checking everything including tyre pressures long before doing something as drastic as that.
If you are going to get upto tricks like that then do it properly which involves a spherical type bearing.
Does a standard 180B pull to one side?- I think not.

Cheers
Dave